Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:41:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's in your boat?

Started by Jmcfarland, March 18, 2012, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

an absolute must, an extra pull rope for your trolling motor.  It will break and it will be during a tournament.

Frank

bsimpson

Another thing I always carry is a photo copy of my insurance policy, which I laminate and then tape to bottom side of one of my deck lids.

I remember reading an article about Ish Monroe at some BASS tournament (an open I think), they asked to see his proof of insurance, which was in his truck.  When they told him he would have to go get it before he could fish, he took off on pad in a no wake zone, which I believe caused him further penalties.

I have never had anyone ask to see my insurance before at a tournament, but if they do, I won't have to scramble to find it.

Got Fish??

Water,firstaid kit,a snack and oh ya. One thing that is not on my boat ME! I was not propared for such a early warm up. I hope the weather is this nice in June.

Team houston

I saw Seth's tweaked prop myself, it was ugly. By the way Seth are you fishing the BFLs?

SethV

Quote from: Team houston on March 22, 2012, 08:02:14 AM
I saw Seth's tweaked prop myself, it was ugly. By the way Seth are you fishing the BFLs?

Not this year, I am doing the BASS Opens instead.  I may jackpot one or 2 BFL's depending on how things go.

djkimmel

I have loaned out my 'portable' bilge/livewell pump a number of times over the year. Just last year a young Elite Angler got his ear chewed but good by his uncle because he didn't have jumper cables in his boat causing him to have 'an issue.' I've had them in mine for a long, long time. Probably a hard lesson learned back farther than I can remember.

Spare prop is a trip saver the time you need. So are dry clothes and a towel. For clumsy boaters or when your fishing partner gets overly excited about making a cast before you do... definitely spare trolling motor rope. Definitely. Actually, two ropes are even better. Once in a while you just have one of 'those' days... Floating rope for your throwable is nice when you're out in the middle of Lake St. Clair and you come across a jet skier who has lost his way. And his machine. Those guys never carry rope. Or spare clothes in a baggy in 63F water. Even for their child who is stuck with them out in the middle of Lake St Clair... So you'll have to provide all that.

Two quarts of oil if you can fit it. People find out you come prepared and they will hit you up to borrow the first one...

A manual baler of some type (or two - we often fish with a partner, don't we) is a required safety item. You can get a cheap hand pump and/or you can make one out of a sturdy, narrow jug with the bottom cut off (I have both). Those come in real handy when you've filled up, your in a hurry and your regular bilge pumps decide to go sour. That backup emergency portable manual pump can only do so much as Seth points out. Or you might have loaned it out to one of your less prepared friends...

A wiring diagram for your boat can come in handy once in a while. I keep one in a plastic baggy in a compartment along with my insurance papers though I don't fish tournaments really anymore. Just an old habit since some still have the rule about requiring you to show it if they ask and many had the rule in 'the old days.'

Wire cutters - good ones - in your tools can come in handy many different ways. Maybe cutting off the barb of that big treble hook you just put through your calf? Ouch! Or clipping a bad connector off the end of one of your various wires so you can get something working again?

If you have a Hot Foot - those things are great for running rough water - an extra spring just in case the one you have breaks. BTW, if you have a Hot Foot, don't leave wads of loose fishing line on the floor of your boat. That's a thrill ride you just don't need.

Did you know that if you lose the bolt on your steering coupling, for those of you with the old style steering anyway, you can hold it together enough to make it back in with your shoe laces? Yeah. You can. Trust me on that one. But an extra bolt works even better... Or at least some strong wire. Maybe a good quality zip tie? You can keep those right next to the duct tape that should be in everyone's boat. Duct tape works pretty good for keeping your severely cracked cowling on your motor if you need to do something like that.

Shoe laces also might work on a few couplings under your motor cowling in a pinch. They have for me with my partner's old Merc anyway... Shoe laces don't work however on any of your motor mount spots. Only extra bolts actually work there. If you can safely get them on after one breaks or mysteriously vanishes...

Did you know that waving your hat at someone a ways off in big waves on Lake Erie doesn't always get them to come over and see if you're having boat problems? One of those big, cheap orange flags works way better... People are less likely to just wave back, or ignore you altogether, and keep going... I bet you can duct tape one of those flags to your paddle.

One other thing... you ever notice how often you are just putting on that last wing nut on your battery post after 'checking something out' or maybe some other small bolt or screw in the back compartment - there can be so many - how it jumps out of your hand and into the smallest, hardest to reach spot in your compartment? Ever notice that? A magnet on the end of an extendable wire really makes getting those bolts, screws and nuts back a lot easier than spending several minutes trying to squeeze your hand or fingers just one more inch into that tiny little space. It's always just out of reach... but that magnet on the wire thingy just zaps it right out of there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigmojet

My baler bucket(large Tide jug necked down a bit) doubles as the p!$$ bucket. Rule is 2 complete rinses when used.

djkimmel

So many 'tools' are multi-purpose. That really helps!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

The magnet thing is a good idea.  Too bad magnets don't work on stainless steel! 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

Seth, Were you a boy scout by any chance?

These have all been great suggestions.  My fav. is the livewell net.  I fished with a buddy once who kept a small livewell net, and swore I would get on, but have yet to do so.

I like the TP suggestion to, but baby wipes in a zip lock bag work better.  I once found a real cool novelty in a gas station in Au Gres:  they are small round tabs about the size of a quarter (but much thicker).  you put a teaspoon full of water on one and it unfolds into a nice size hand towel.  A few in a zip lock back saves a lot of space for small messes.

djkimmel

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 27, 2012, 08:44:21 PM
The magnet thing is a good idea.  Too bad magnets don't work on stainless steel! 

I might have a tool for that too?? I just can't remember. I have the problem now that I can't remember where I put things so I sometimes buy them again... ;D I'm sure there are many more ideas and tools we all use that can help each other!

MSURoss

Mike S.

Just learned my lesson the hard way, I now have an extra spring for the Hotfoot. Well, I will when they show up in the mail anyways. Wish I would have read more of this topic last month.

Jmcfarland

@mikeszr800- Well it's nice to know I started something that could have been useful even if it wasn't  ::)  LOL. I actually have bought a spare bilge pump since this thread. $4.50 on clearance at wally world ( hard to believe something that could really get you out of a bind cost less than most spinnerbaits). It should be ok for gator clip use. Still have to get it rigged up. The trolling motor rope is something I have gotten away with for 2 years now. I just jinxed that so it will break now the next time out I'm sure. You guys some how new the kind of list I was talking about. This pretty much nailed it. Now to go through sometime and put it in list form.

Mike S.

Yeah, it was unexpected today.  It was kind of an eerie feeling when I needed to slow down, but couldn't.  The pucker factor was high.  But, I will always have a spare from now on.  I have always had a spare TM rope, and I just went and checked, mine is about to break.  Funny how these things work.

djkimmel

That's why Hot Foots have that toe clip. So you can hook your foot on that and pull 'er back!! Really, the most important thing for a Hot Foot or any boat foot pedal is to not leave wads of lose fishing line on the floor. It can blow into the pedal and you night not be able to pull 'er back! You know it would happen at the worst time too. That caused a bad accident to a fishing acquaintance of mine in the past.

Just one more example of why you should ALWAYS have your kill switch attached no matter a tournament or just out for fun. More likely to keep it fun that way. I can't remember but I imagine one of us mentioned a spare kill switch cord somewhere above too?

bigjc

You guys can have your hot foot...I will keep my hand on my throttle.

Mike S.

Quote from: bigjc on April 22, 2012, 12:43:34 AM
You guys can have your hot foot...I will keep my hand on my throttle.

I have too many things to do with my hands allready. Can't worry about the throttle too. Blinker trim and jackplate controls, and steering. I have had a few boats with hand throttles, and my Nitro and Skeeter both have the Hotfoot. I personally feel there is better control with the Hotfoot. But, to each their own.