Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The unknown lake

Started by LGMOUTH, March 09, 2012, 05:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LGMOUTH

I went out fishing with Greg Mangus this past Wednesday and boy did we have a blast with the A-Rig.

After a 20 or so minute drive from his house we arrived at the lake and I could take off the blind fold. Just kidding, but I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag since not to many guys no about it, but it is a public lake.

When we arrived to the spot we started throwing the a-rig. Not even a bite for the first half hour. About then we noticed, ok Greg noticed there were alot of fish in the 20 to 30 foot of water. So he threw his a-rig out and let it sink to the bottom and started to slow roll it back to the boat. Bang our first fish. Then he did it again on the next cast, and the next and the next. He was up about 10 to 1 on me when I decided to switch my swim baits.

I started out with some prerigged power bait swimbaits. What I noticed was the tail weren't moving very much when I was reeling really slow. I switched all of them to a zoom swimming fluke which is what Greg was using. What a difference. For the next two hours it was almost every cast. We caught around 100 or so fish in those two hours. Only three of them were over 4lbs but most were in the 2lb to 3lb range.

We decided to move to another spot to see if we could get some more big ones. We only caught a hand full at the other spot. So an hour or so later we decided to head back to the original spot.

It was a little slower but we wound up catching another 50 or so in the next couple of hours. At the end of the day Greg wound up catching 7 doubles and I didn't have any. Not quite sure why he could catch doubles and I couldn't but that's something I am going to have to look into.

What a fun day out fishing, I can tell you that the A-Rig is unbelievable and flat out catches fish. But to be fair we didnt try anything else. I do remember mentioning a blade bait but I think I got interupted buy a fish killing my a-rig.

When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

Waterfoul

Officially jealous.  You know I don't work Sunday or Monday and would love to tag along some time.  I can keep a secret.   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Fishmael

With the authority given to me to make such decisions (which is none), I say they are officially banned from the one-on-one NBAA Greenville division...OK, that might be extreme.  Only Don is banned from throwing them.

So really, you had 150 fish in 4 hours of your trip.  Is that the best fishing day you've ever had?

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on March 09, 2012, 11:28:19 PM
No! I can keep a secret!

No you can't.  You own a tell-all website... secret isn't in your vocabulary.

OR!!!  I have a better idea... we get Don AND Greg to take us both... two boats... and we have ourselves a little outing!!  Yeah... that's what we need to do!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bsimpson

I can keep a secret too!!!   ;D   ;D   ;D

djkimmel

Heck... I only share with you guys on here. No one else!?!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LGMOUTH

Quote from: Fishmael on March 10, 2012, 07:42:44 AM
With the authority given to me to make such decisions (which is none), I say they are officially banned from the one-on-one NBAA Greenville division...OK, that might be extreme.  Only Don is banned from throwing them.

So really, you had 150 fish in 4 hours of your trip.  Is that the best fishing day you've ever had?

If it wasnt then it was very close. Ive had a few other spring time days with around the same numbers. It defiantly isnt a frequent occurrence.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

LGMOUTH

I had to make another trip down there just because it was so fun. It wasnt quite as productive as the first time but it was well worth it.

This time I went with Ben Nielsen and Matt Endres. Just like last time we caught everything on the A-Rig. Not as many fish but a couple of big ones. One that was 5lbs and a couple more in the 4lb+ range. Another fun filled day.

We only took a few pictures with my camera, Most we took on Matts phone. The two of Matt and Ben are their first A-Rig fish. They did catch bigger ones, just didnt want everyone to think I only post pictures of my big fish. LOL

YpsiBass

Are those just plain lead ball jigs?

edyer

Don, thanks for sharing. It gives those of us that are less fortunate, an opportunity to live our lives through your catching adventures. I can't afford a fun trip to Indiana right now any ways, so the lake might as well be in California. I wish you could of taken a picture of Matt smiling, because most people think he never does. I did see him smile once(it was more like a hideous, evil laugh) on Reeds Lake when he was cranking them off the pipe. He was lined up perfectly catching fish on almost every cast, back-boating me, so all I could do is net his fish, and listen to his cackling, sneering laugh. It was an evening I will never forget. Still have nightmares about that.

Cy

Ed you stole my line.  I was going to comment on Matt's smiling and jovial expressions!
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Waterfoul

Yeah, at least Don and Ben look like they are having a good time.   

Smile Matt!!!   ;D

LGMOUTH

Quote from: Ellipsis on March 12, 2012, 09:03:47 PM
Are those just plain lead ball jigs?

Yes those are Bite Me Round Ball jig heads.

I think Matt was mad that Ben and I were back boating him. LOL

Waterfoul

Well when you LOOK like you're not having any fun... you end up NOT having any fun. 

Smile Matt.  Or at least smirk a little bit.   :D

Wolverines

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I am smiling in that picture!!!

Smile or no smile, I had a blast.  Thanks again Don...
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

TCook

I tried it for the first time today from shore on a random lake in indiana. Ya im boatless bank trash but still got 3 solid fish in shallow water in a couple hours. If I could of got to the deeper stuff it would of been really good. Don your tips were spot on. Gluing your baits to the jigheads is a must and stopping your cast just before your rig hits the water makes a big difference.
FISH HARD!!!

LGMOUTH

I wouldnt steer you wrong. LOL

Where are the pictures? I know you have a camera.

Bigbass201

Those certainly are some quality fish.  That's one of my favorites in Indiana as it is only about mile down the road from my folks place.  It has limited parking for about 12 vehicles and trailers now, and the lot has been full almost every day of the week with guys casting over each other on that spot.  lol  I'm glad the bite was good for you guys.  I tend to believe they are slowly getting conditioned to that rig there.  Which is evident of the slower bite as of late.

I enjoyed the pictures and report.

bassbmx

Those A-rigs look like fun!  The bass are probably going to wise up to them by the end of the year though.