Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

FOM East Dt. River

Started by fishon1219, July 10, 2006, 11:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishon1219

This past Saturday the FOM east division hosted the 3rd tournament of the year out of Elizabeth park. My partner Mark Clark and my self practised for the event Friday and focused our attention on Lake St.Clair as we weren't comfortable that our river fish would be there. On Friday we were able to catch several limits of smallmouth, but they were all in the 2lb range and didn't even see a bigger fish. We only practised around the Delphine Channel area as we didn't really want to run any further than that. Our plan for tournament morning was to run up to Clair and get our limit and be back to our river spots by 10:00am. The fish that we have been catching in the river were bigger, but we only would catch 1 here and there and being that we are leading the points in the division we didn't want to chance not coming in with a limit. We felt good that we should finish very high in the event and felt that our biggest competition would be the team of Wayne Carpenter and Scott Hayes. Well come tournament morning we find out that team Trombly and team Bucarrelli are now fishing our tournaments and anybody that knows these guys or there tournament history knows they are tough to beat on Erie. We didn't let this get us down though because they are fisherman just like anybody else so we went at it.  We stopped at our firs spot after the 23 minute run from Elizabeth park and managed to get 3 short fish so we moved a little bit further north off of a rock reef and proceeded to get a limit by 8:30, but we only had about 8 lbs. We went to our next spot just further north that is always good for a 3lber and Caught one. We fished around the area and managed to cull out a total of 3 of the smaller fish and were sitting with about 11 lbs at 11:00am. We were a little bit behind schedule so we decided to head back down river before the south wind really kicked up. We hit our first 2 river spots and nothing. On our third spot we managed 2 cull out 2 of the last smaller fish and were sitting with about 13 lbs. We had about 1 hour left in the tournament and hit our last spot were we were able to cull out one more fish and were sitting with what we guessed at 15 lbs. When we got to the weigh in we put our fish on the scales and ended up with 14. 76. 1st place went to team trombly with 22 and some change and Wayne and scott had 18 something for 2nd. #rd went to the Buccarellies with 17 something and me and mark ended up with 4th place. Were we happy with a 4th place finish? NOPE!! It made us realize that despite our limitations in boat size and horsepower we still need to get out to Erie and find those quality 4 lb smallies if we want to compete against those guys in the bigger boats. My hat does go off to Wayne and Scott though because they are fishing out of a boat the same size as mine and were able to get it done, so I know it is possible. The good thing is the next tournament is at cass lake and that will even the playing field for all participants. Congratulations to Wayne and Scott for the 2nd place.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

WayneC

Ok, so I'm a little slow on the response here but thanks for the kudo's.

Scott and I had a single rock pile out by Colchester that we worked all day for 5 bites.  Our fifth fish came with 8 minutes to go.  I really hate fishing like this but when the quality is there, it's a legitimate way to win. 

If we had more experience here than one pre-fishing trip I'm sure we could have pulled 21 lbs. out of this spot but it wouldn't have mattered in the standings because 1st was in the 22 lb. range. 

The most impressive thing of all was the response from the FOM regulars.  I've fished club touraments and opens but this circuit has been a refreshing change of pace.  Those of us who have been at all the tournaments do enjoy the comaradarie and hanging out.  Fellow competitors were sincere in their congratulations on a good finish and that is something that can be hard to find these days.

It's a great circuit with a good mix of different bodies of water where everyone gets a chance to pick up points.