Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

A- Rig

Started by huston, February 19, 2012, 10:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huston

Pretty Good article in today's newspaper  in Sports/outdoors section by Eric Sharp on  The A rig.

huston

I rigged up one of these last night and it seems as though no one has wrote the book on usage. Some say heavy arsenal, this size jighead and what ever soft plastic you want. Since the main tying point on these rigs has weight to it, I don't see why you have to have all arms with weighted  soft plastic. It seems to me if you have, let's say five arms, then why not weigh the bottom two and just use a hook on the other three with whatever soft plastic you want. This is a rig that you are casting and reeling, not giving it any extra movement. All more weight would mean is sinking faster. The grubs, swim baits  or what ever are going to swim  when you reel anyway. less weight to me means less problems.......... Just brain storming.

djkimmel

That is what some people are doing for balance and to reduce weight when great depth or speed isn't important. Jonathon VanDam talked about this in his seminar Saturday at the D&R Sports Center NBAA Day. He's often using smaller minnow bodies and jig heads, and finding that catches more bass more often so far.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

Well it's going to be aloot of trial and error this spring

My thoughts are
The 5" paddle tail that there throwing down south is going to be to big for Michigan. and we won't be fishing them 20' down

So smaller baits will mean smaller hooks
I have no weight, 1/8 oz in 3/0 and 3/8 oz in 5/0
And the plan is to mix and match to find the right combo

As a Walleye guy that likes to troll
I can tell you, lead weight is very speed specific
there's a huge difference from 1.0 MPH to 1.5 MPH if your trolling in line weights.
So, If your burning the rig you;ll need more weight to keep it down
And less if your slow rolling it

So,
My plan is to cast it out, reel it in and then adjust by adding the heavier
jigs on the bottom till I get to the depth I'm after
And I like the ideal of the big hooks being down there

dartag

I was tossing a couple off my breakwall before the ice froze.   5   1/4 jig heads with 4/0 hooks seemed to work find.  All I had were some 4 inch swim baits in a bag I got somewhere.  It worked great as long as you didn't reel to fast and overpower it.   Tried some grubs I had and they looked good also.  Just going to take some playing around to get it.   It was good to see Gerry Gostanic say good things about it in the article.   Be interesting to see if every dead bass floating in SC this spring is blamed on the rig.

I see the BPS sales circular has 2 of them in there for sale now.

huston

There is also versions of this that have no weighted head.

LGMOUTH

Quote from: huston on February 20, 2012, 06:24:13 PM
There is also versions of this that have no weighted head.

One of the biggest problems I had when using it a couple of weeks ago was it tumbling in the air and the line would wrap around the head between the wire arms. Talking with Stacey and Greg we determined this was from the lead head and not enough weight on the arms. I think the no weight heads are the cure for this if you dont want to fish deep and/or your not going to add a bunch of weight to each arm. Also I was casting over head since I was in the middle of the boat most of the time. I can see it not doing that as much if you were lobbing it side arm.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

djkimmel

Seems like most people I have seen cast it in videos are doing a kind of sidearm lob most of the time. You should have asked for equal time!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

huston

This is going to be one season to remember. It may be called the summer of the A Rig. I picked up two of the un weighted for $10.00 each too and a medium heavy rod. We should just troll this thing with rod holders on our Bass boats.