Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Cabela's coming to Grand Rapids Spring of 2013

Started by Dan, February 16, 2012, 01:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Cabela's just announced that a new store will be opening near River Town Mall on 44th St. in the Spring of 2013. It was on our local news, and here is an article with the unveil.
I'm coming out of retirement for at least a part time job. I may not bring home a dime in cash, but I will have an inside edge on all the toys I want.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/02/cabelas_will_open_long-awaited.html
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

Oops, jumped on Redbone's thread. I was so excited that I didn't read his post or we made them about the same time. This new store will be only minutes from where I live. I hope they have a spot for coffee each morning. I'm there, and I definitely will be applying for at least a part time job and may even consider a full time gig. I've always wanted to try working in a BPS or Cabela's type store.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Redbone

I could go home and catch a robber breaking into my home, and if he started out saying "did you hear about Cabelas" all would be okay. ;D

Dan

Redbone, if you are in this area, a couple GLB guys and I met for lunch last Monday at Arnie's on 54st. If you are ever interested in joining us, it would be nice to meet you, or do I know you already?

Redbone

I'm not sure if we have met or not? One of these days... :)

fasttrack

5 min from my house. Maybe I should rent rooms to guys traveling here to visit. You can pay at the store, just have them put a credit on my account.....Now if we could just get a [REMOVED - see No Links Policy List] store here (if there was such a thing)
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Waterfoul

I see how you are Dan.  Won't come work for me, but you'd jump at the opportunity to work for a big corporate company like Cabellas!!  I'm hurt. 

Not really.   ;D  You'd be an asset to them for sure.

And don't think I won't at least "toy" with the idea of applying for a position there... but I doubt they can match my benifits... I get a LOT of vacation.   :)

Can't have lunch this Monday... going to Moore Boats, the Ranger dealer in Lingonier, IN with a friend to buy his new boat!!  Fun fun fun!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fasttrack

Now who's buying a boat Mike? Thought you made that trip a couple weeks ago -

Just talked to a neighbor and came up with a great idea. Maybe we can install a highspeed zipline from here right the Cabela's door....Have fun and save gas (and parking issues) at the same time!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Dan

Hey Mike, I needed to work that father son deal to make the drive out there to pay off. I would have jumped at that if we could have swung the two of us. It's a half hour drive to your place versus maybe 10 mins. max to the Cabela's area.
Maybe we should shoot for every other Monday for lunch at Arnie's. You can't make it this coming Monday, and I don't think I can make the Monday after that because we're heading down to the Classic, and I don't know when on Monday we'll be home.

Mike S.

I'm up in the air on this one. I have never in my life bought anything from Cabela's. I would much rather see a BPS open up in the area. But, on the same note, its about time we get somewhere big to buy gear from. My favorite almost local store is Al and Bob's. Only a 30 minute drive from home. I buy some things from Dick's, but they only carry so much. Mostly Zoom and Rapala.

Guess I will just have to give Cabela's a chance. Sure wish someone would build something like that in Muskegon. I might have to get a part time job to support my habit with a big outfitter near by.

djkimmel

Al and Bob's will probably continue to have a much better bass tackle selection than Cabelas as far as lures and terminal tackle. They have a really nice selection. Same for D&R Sports Center in Kalamazoo.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Redbone

Quote from: djkimmel on February 18, 2012, 12:52:56 AM
Al and Bob's will probably continue to have a much better bass tackle selection than Cabelas as far as lures and terminal tackle. They have a really nice selection. Same for D&R Sports Center in Kalamazoo.

I disagree.  While Al and Bobs have a nice selection.  There is no way they can compete in that department.  IMO the only way a mom and pops store can compete in the bass dept. is to have alot of local or smaller bait companies selections.

Although, if they have what I need, I will support the smaller stores. 

But Al and Bobs and Redsky in Comstock Park are not open on Sundays. I constantly scratch my head on why a store would not be open on Sunday. This IMO is a huge negative!

Waterfoul

The reason Al and Bob's is not open on Sunday is because the owner (a personal friend of mine) does not believe in working on Sunday.  I commend him for that, putting his employees needs before the almighty dollar.  I worked for Russ' Restaurants for about 13 years and they did a study about opening on Sunday.  They found they would actually LOSE customers over it.

Welcome to ulta-conservative, Christian Reformed Grand Rapids and Holland.

Slowest day of the week for my business?  Sunday by a long shot.  In fact, it's so slow most Sunday's that we are not open on Sunday from November to April.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

When I first moved to this area, the McDonalds here was the only McDonalds in the country closed on Sunday. It's loosened up quite a bit since then.
There is always a niche to be filled and even with Cabelas coming, I think the smaller shops will continue to do okay, but there without a doubt will be more competition.
I have a small outdoor shop I frequent quite close to my house, and I will still go there, but I will also like to cruise Cabelas, and with it being only minutes from my door...

djkimmel

That's fairly common on your side of the state. D&R Sports was closed for years on Sunday. Randy changed that just a few years ago. It's a risky move for some people in the middle Western part of the state.

My understanding is this will be a 'small' Cabelas, not a big one? I've been in the 'big' Cabelas. I've been in Al and Bobs. I thought Al and Bobs had a much better selection of bass tackle. Just my opinion. I was at D&R today - they have a great selection of quality bass tackle.

Nothing against Cabelas. They carry some things smaller stores don't have, more in the other category than bass tackle from what I've seen in the past. I buy things there like rain gear and other accessories. Marine gear, etc.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I talked to the owner of Al and Bob's a while back. I told him he needed to open a store in Muskegon. Then, I would have had another 20 bucks or so to spend in his store, rather than spending it on gas to get to his store. He said he was for it, but..........

Dick's doesn't compare to them in my opinion.  That's probably the best we have here in Muskegon.  I went to D&R once. That was a cool place.

I'm really not that excited about Cabela's. Hope it doesn't suck as bad as the Gander Mountain stores in GR. We need a west side BPS. That's all there is to it. Perfect spot right off the highway for it, right where the horse track was.

djkimmel

That would be something to have a Cabelas AND a Bass Pro Shops in one town?

I don't know if I can picture Tom franchising Al and Bobs...? But you never know...? Anything is possible. Maybe if people keep asking him ;D

KLAKE

Quote from: djkimmel on February 18, 2012, 05:32:01 PM
That's fairly common on your side of the state. D&R Sports was closed for years on Sunday. Randy changed that just a few years ago. It's a risky move for some people in the middle Western part of the state.

My understanding is this will be a 'small' Cabelas, not a big one? I've been in the 'big' Cabelas. I've been in Al and Bobs. I thought Al and Bobs had a much better selection of bass tackle. Just my opinion. I was at D&R today - they have a great selection of quality bass tackle.

Nothing against Cabelas. They carry some things smaller stores don't have, more in the other category than bass tackle from what I've seen in the past. I buy things there like rain gear and other accessories. Marine gear, etc.

I don't know Al&Bob's, but I do know D&R. Truth is you are better able to find the things you are looking for in the colors you are looking for at D&R than you are even at BPS. At least in tackle. Of course they don't have the room for rods/reels like the big stores do.

They (and other GOOD little stores) do this by carrying what works, and leaving out all the nonsense. You will never see an NFL team crankbait, an entire wall of bubblegum worms, or 100 red craw crankbaits.

djkimmel

That's kind of the point I was making. There's tons of 'stuff' in the big stores but a better selection of the good stuff in the stores run by local bass anglers.

raisinrat

There will always be room for small tackle shops. There are things that the big stores don't do and there are things the big box outdoor stores can do that most little stores can not do. I am speaking as someone that worked for the Big "C" before and just after they went public with their stock(7 years with them).And now I am running the retail side of a small outdoor company.

Cabela's as always been a Northern Outdoors Shop 1st( Walleye, Muskie, pike and hunting products), They only recently in their history starting focusing on the bass market better, in my opinion.
Justin Clark