Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

MI Bass Fed State Championship LSC - All open or US Waters Only

Started by blakstr1, February 12, 2012, 11:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A debate is brewing about the 2012 MiBass Fed State Championship on LSC.  Would the membership prefer to be able to fish US / Canada / & Walpole (All Open) or US Waters Only?

All Open
9 (40.9%)
US Waters Only
13 (59.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

blakstr1

If you have a different preference you can list below.  Would like to hear from everyone...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Savage

US waters only saves a guy $90 in licences, and no need to get a passport or an enhanced drivers licence.  No brainer
- limit it to US waters
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Team houston

A one day non res Canadien license is about $20. You do not need a passport or enhanced drivers licence to fish Canadien water. You just need to call in and let them know you will be there.

smbassman

It is a two day tournament, so it requires an 8 day Canadian, sportcard and 7 day Walpole. 

But why not a Passport?  I thought that was now required by border patrol if you are stopped coming into US water from Canada.  How do they know if you touched land or not?  I may be wrong (most likely) but I guess I need better clarification. 

I also noticed the MWC tournaments just made Canada off limits due to this same issue. (Posted on LSC.net)

tjrock

I believe it is only a 1 day tournament. I also just talked to a buddy of mine that is a CBP supervisory officer at the Bluewater bridge and he said as long as you don't anchor or dock in Canadian waters you don't need a passport to get back into US waters.

djkimmel

What is the date of the event? Is it just one day? What boat ramp?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Team houston

You do not need a sport card for a single day license. You also do not need a Walpole licence if you don't fish there. Since Walpole waters are more than likely 5% or less of the lake not a hard thing to do.

Savage

Event is two days in august.  In the past rules have required purchase of Canadian and Walpole licences to be eligible for tournament.  I looked into it and will spend about 90 bucks to get those licences this time around.  My feeling is that there is plenty of water on the US side.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

motocross269

I have to go against my Fellow Team Bassers on this one...

I am close to LSC so I will get the licenses for the year either way.....So my opinion is a little different than someone just coming in for the tournament....

There is plenty of water to fish yes....but if we fish US waters only it basically leaves up and down the channel/mile roads and the US side of the SC River....We are losing the Belle River Hump, Gardens, half of the LSC river,Stag and Fawn Island and other Late Summer Hotspots....
I would be OK with eliminating the Walpole requirement....Savage are you sure that a Walpole license was required...?? I don't remember that.

Here is the website to get a license...Everything is Efile now so you don't have to run around trying to get the tag..
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STDPROD_091032.html

Every year we hear this Canadian border hysteria.....and by the time fishing season gets in full swing it pretty much winds down to business as usual...Don't touch land and don't anchor and you won't have any issues.....I believe that the MWC is just overeacting to the same issues we have year after year...
By eliminating the Canadian water the Tournament will lose 75 percent of the fishable water of LSC and the River.....If they do that I wonder how many guys will run to Erie...

Eric

www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

motocross269

Quote from: Eric on February 14, 2012, 09:55:26 AM
How much of Erie is good Michigan water?

The question was US waters so I was assuming that Ohio waters would be open......I know a few guys that would make the run to Erie if the bite was right....

My point is that you will see more guys running to Erie if they cut off Ontario water...Especially in August....

US waters only in August will have the majority pretty much fishing the same pattern up and down the Channel.....

customfishn

What ever you plan on doing just get the right licenses its not worth the fines.  Trust me!

djkimmel

Make sure people know you cannot fish the Firecracker tower and be fishing US water. The entire structure is in Canadian waters while the actual channel edge near the floating buoy is US waters.

You should probably have a rule about not running the cutoff part of the shipping channel too since that is all closed and people might run out it from the South Channel into the lake as a shortcut. Anyone see doing that might appear to have been fishing Canadian/Walpole water. Just a couple suggestions.

You may have already thought of these two things but I bring up the Firecracker because every time someone has a tournament hosting out of area anglers in mid-summer to fall on St. Clair I run into competitors fishing the Firecracker (because many know or hear about its reputation) who believe they are in US waters because they either can't read a chart or want to claim ignorance so they can fish it.

Do what you think you need to do to attract the best participation. I always liked all waters open but I still fished plenty of tournaments with US waters only.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Savage

Presidents voted for all waters open in straw pole at the meeting so.... all waters open from bridge to bridge (no Erie).  Better have a passport or enhanced liscence when you sign up. . . .
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

smbassman

Bridge to bridge is an attempt to prevent issues with the 4hours / angler rule.  The intent is that the non boater has the choice of fishing his area for 4 hours(including drive time).  If the boater wanted to go to Erie and the non boater had his spots picked out in the upper st. Clair river, there might be arguements about neither getting sufficient time.  That is the reasoning and has been that way the last few times on St. Clair.

Frank-o

Copied from the Michigan B.AS.S. Federation Nation Website:
2012 State Championship
This year the State Championship will be held on Lake St Clair, August 16-19 out of Metro Beach Park. Watch for more information coming soon!!
State Championship Rules
Information on Michigan Enhanced Drivers Licenses
Information on U.S. Passports
Fishing Licenses
This year, ALL anglers will be required to have a Michigan License, a Canadian License and a Walpole License.
All licenses are available at Lakeside Tackle at 10 Mile and Jefferson

Outdoors/Sports Card - $12.00
8 Day Canadian License - $57.00
Walpole 7 Day License - $22.00
MI State Entry Fee - $125.00     

Total cost to fish State Tourney - $ 216.00

That's how i read it, correct ????

motocross269

I didn't see anything in the minutes about the Walpole license being a requirement.,...But I did see that you have to have an Enhanced Drivers license...That is another 40 bucks...

Just fish LSC more often and all of those licenses and fees are a better investment for your dollar... ;) ;D

blakstr1

walpole will be required as well, all open all licenses necessary
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com