Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:51:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Trouble with my Minn Kota

Started by BassinGT, July 24, 2006, 09:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassinGT

Hi All,
I got into a tight spot on the lake the other day. The wind was strong and I was blown onto a sandbar. Before I realized how shallow I was I tried to troll out of there and my 70# EDGE minn-kota trolling motor was wedged into the sand and something got screwed up in there.

Well it still works, let me say that, however it always running even when it is set to "MOM" or is it "MON" :-). So naturally the first thing I did was check if the foot button was stuck somehow. It looks ok. Nothing is lodged in there keeping it pressed down. Then I looked under the foot pedal at the wiring and I see a swicth of some sort directly under the foot button. I'm wondering if maybe I fried that switch out when I ran the motor in the sand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

McCarter

A friend of mine had this same problem a year ago.  As it turned out, his circuit board had shorted out and was for some reason not allowing the motor to turn off, and on top of that it only ran on one speed.  Full Blast. 

Best thing to do is to take it to a certified minn kota repair shop.  Wonderland Marine West in Howell is awesome.  I had mine in there earlier this year and they had it fixed in a day and a half.

If you want to try to fix it yourself, call minn kota or go on the website and email there tech support guys.  they will get back with you right away and may be able to troubleshoot your problem right over the phone or email.

Use the link at the bottom of my post to get to there website.   

PB himself :-\'

BassinGT

Thanks alot!

I got the boat at Wonderland anyway so I'll probably take it up there.

-Gary

Dan

Just had a similar problem and if it is a minn kota and it's the circuit board you are talking about $270.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

SethV

I think they upgraded the boards in 2003 or 2004.  If it is older than that, the boards are known to fry.  I had mine go out on the 1000 Islands....man, hard to flip weeds when you don't have the soft start and it is running 100%.  The board is on the underside of the foot pedal, easy to change yourself if that is the problem.  Just be sure to label the wires or take a picture so you don't get them hooked up wrong.

Seth V

dartag

you can call Minn-Kota and talk to them.. they were very helpfull.   as stated it is probably the circut board.. i had to replace mine last year on my 80 lb.  easy to change.  it was around 140.00 with shipping.  not sure the name but there is a guy in algonac or marysville that sells the parts. 

good luck.

yukonjack2

my foot switch doesn't turn off sometimes - the soft start is ok, but I wqas told the switches on those go bad.  I took the wires off, and saw some corrosion, so I replaced the terminal connectors and greased them -
to no avail - was on SPring lake yesterday and the switch is now always on - kinda a pain to use the powere dial to turn it on and off.

I spoke with Jose' Garza from wonderland, and he told me MK hasd a problem with the switches - and is bringing me one to the BFL this weekend. A big cudos to those wonderland guys.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

BassinGT

Yeah I narrowed my problem down to the momentary foot pedal switch as well. I took it off last night. It's a Unimax Switch with the numbers HL03006 and 0523 on the side. I'm hoping I can quickly find one without having to take my boat in for serivce.  If I call Wonderland do you think they might have something like this in stock?

-Gary

BassinGT

I ordered the replacement switch from MinnKota for $15.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Gary

BassinGT

Just a follow up on this. Like I said I ordered the momentary push switch from MinnKota for $15. I just got it and installed it. Solved the problem. So remember to check that switch if this happens to you.

I love the guys at Wonderland but this was a case where I think it was cheaper to fix it myself than to drag the boat up there for god knows how long.

-Gary