Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:13:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

South Street Tackle Closing

Started by LAPORTE, December 28, 2011, 01:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

Well I just found out today my local tackle store is closing.

Yea, I'm kinda bumbed.

Saturday will be the last day to use credit card then sometime middle of Jan the doors will close

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

fiker

Does that mean there are going out of business type sales?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

t-bone

Bummer - I would drive over about once a month to buy some stuff. The only thing I didn't like about the shop is that everything smelled of tobacco... but the guys were friendly and helpful.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

LAPORTE

dartag

Never did go there.  Any reason given why they closed.

LAPORTE

Sales have been down.  It seems more people order on line now days. I know they handed out about a 2 doz. 20% off coupons for several local tourney trails in the area for there classic. Not one was used before christmas.

Team houston

Thats sucks, I liked that store. Tried to get there at least once a year but it is a 45 min drive.

fiker

That's too bad.  I hate to see the local guys go under.  
We've all seen the progression, the malls took away business from the small town main streets, the big box discount stores take away from the malls, and now the on line sellers are cutting into the big guys.  

Sad.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dartag

The net sure has made it easy.  Hard to beat BTD where you spend 50.00 and get free shipping.     Even the big box stores never seem to have what I need when I go there.  There is only 1 small tackle shop left near me but there selection is small also. The minnow fishermen will suffer from them closing.

KLAKE

Quote from: dartag on December 29, 2011, 08:25:30 AM
The net sure has made it easy.  Hard to beat BTD where you spend 50.00 and get free shipping.     Even the big box stores never seem to have what I need when I go there.  There is only 1 small tackle shop left near me but there selection is small also. The minnow fishermen will suffer from them closing.

Quote from: fiker on December 29, 2011, 07:56:53 AM
That's too bad.  I hate to see the local guys go under. 
We've all seen the progression, the malls took away business from the small town main streets, the big box discount stores take away from the malls, and now the on line sellers are cutting into the big guys. 

Sad.

That's just it.The little guys, to survive, have to also sell online.
I heard rumors a few years back that even Lunkers wouldn't survive, but there Restaurant keeps the business open.

eetz

OH man, this is really sad. 

I really enjoyed stopping in every few weeks (except for when there is ice) on my lunch to talk a little fishing with Keith. 

I also really appreciated that their prices were very competitive with the online shops.  Plus, getting to see the expensive baits in person was always nice. 

This is really unfortunate.

djkimmel

Sorry to hear that. I know it costs money but I can help some companies expand their online ability through my anglerhosting.com website design and management company.

We all have to change with the times but it also helps that if people like access to local knowledge and seeing the products, they have to buy some things from them too. I know those guys were real busy with full-time jobs outside of the store. I know you supported them well Don. Sorry you're losing your hangout.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

That sucks, they were the last great local tackle shop downriver!  Does anyone remember the "fishing hole" in Taylor?" 

They were a great local tackle shop where you could get rod/reel repair, or anything else you desire.  I remember talking to the owner John on their last day, and he said, " well what do you espect, after Gander Mountain came to town, I lost half of my business."  I felt guilty that I had taken much of my business to GM also.  Now there is a Walgreens there.  Bummer!

South Street carried all the stuff that tourney anglers want to throw!!  They will be missed.

DDBethke

Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

Skulley

South Street was a fine tackle shop.  I go there twice a year at least and would spend an easy $100 every time I went in there.  They fixed rods and reels for me too.  Now I will have to find another place.  They also had the best rattling tube jigs.  I would buy them from them every year and every time I went in there.  They will be truly missed by myself as well as a lot of other anglers on this forum. 

Yeah bigjc, I remember the "Fishin Hole" in Taylor.  That is another place I really miss.  If Big John didn't have it in stock, he would go out of his way to get it for you.  Once in awhile he shows up to the Ultimate Fishing Show.  I think he had a booth there a couple of years ago.  I know he still does business but as a tackle distributor.  Andy's Tackle in Melvindale, formerly Viking Tackle is still in business to the best of my memory down on Dix and Oakwood.  I haven't been down there in a couple of years, so maybe it's time to make a trip there before they go out of business.  This economy is rough and I really don't think we are out of the woods yet.  I still see foreclosures in my local area although not as many.  And there are still local businesses in my area hurting.  I pray 2012 brings prosperity to this area and our great state.

BD                                 ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigjc

BD,
I am glad you mentioned Andy's...I stop in to Andy's every once in a while for some hard to find tackle and to support a local bait shop.  They are nice folks, but it is a bit out of the way for me.  I am never in that area, unless I go by there intentionally.

t-bone

I go to Andy's during the winter. I wish they would cater a little more to the bass angler, the majority of their tackle is towards the walleye fisherman.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Skulley

Back when Andy's was Viking Tackle, they carried a lot more bass stuff.  They actually carried Nichol's Spinnerbaits back in those days.  I haven't been down there in quite a while.  I'll have to go there.  Still sad to see South Street close.   :'(

BD                           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

LAPORTE

Maybe we can start a topic for Andys place.

Im still trying to figure out how to look at the latest up and coming baits in my hand. Without thumbing thru mags... For the last several years I thought it was kinda nice to see the new River to Sea and Jackel baits.... Now it looks like a trip to Mornici....

It sucks how we can't support the local places around us but we can order on line (for the same price) and be happy about it...

Skulley

I'll try to stop in there over the coming weeks. I will start a thread on Andy's and other surviving local tackle shops when I can gather more info.

BD                      ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com