Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:11:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

I know it's been asked a million times, but...

Started by 32eml24, December 25, 2011, 12:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32eml24

You guessed it!  Dropshot electronics!  I understand the concept.  I had an Eagle like 80 dollar model that came with my boat on the bow, turned up scroll speed and sensitivity blah blah and couldn't see anything, whatever.  Transducer snapped off so now I'm in the market for something better, looking to spend around 500 bucks.  Since this question has been asked a million times, I'll break it down into a series of smaller questions and then any additional discussion will just be an added bonus.

1. Down imaging appeals to me because I've always been curious about what's ACTUALLY down there.  I'm sure it has it's pros and cons.  The DI has 16 and 25 deg. beams, the other ones have 20 and 60.  Which serves my purpose better for drop shot work?
2. Do I need to buy an adapter for the trolling motor or a whole new transducer all together?
3. Id like it to have gps as well.
4. I want to be able to see my drop shot and the fish without second guessing.  What is my main priority?  Screen size, resolution, etc?
5. If anyone could provide a suggestion for a specific model thatd be great.  Or if anyone has experience, good or bad, with a certain model i'd love to hear that as well.

Thanks! Ethan

bigmojet

If I'm not mistaken Di as well as so requires boat to be moving to get proper signal. I would go with.a nice color model with gps like a HB 788.

You will need a trolling motor bracket for transducer unless u have a newer Minn lots with transducer.

1javelin

DI does not need the boat to be moving to create the image, it would show up the same as your traditional sonar but with the image instead of the return.  For that price you should be able to find a good DI from Humminbird online somewhere, don't want to recommend any sites in case they are not sponsors on here. You can message me or some of the other members if you want more info on where to find them.  I haven't tried the dropshot or spoon fishing with my Bird yet, but that's because I haven't used it much and even though I took the class, I am still mesmerized by how many settings there are and how to operate them all.  I will be playing with it this spring though once I get my boat to me.  There's a video on here of dropshotting from Lowrance electronics, gives some useful information. 

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

32eml24

Assuming that most drop shot work that can be seen on a screen will be performed almost directly beneath the bow, it just makes sense to me to use a narrower cone and also have a more accurate picture (down imaging).  This would be my thinking for the 16 and 25 degree beams being an advantage for the technique as opposed to the 20/60.  Is that logical thinking?  Also what's the big difference between traditional sonar and HD sonar, and how important is it to drop shotting?  Thanks again for anything,  I know nobody wants to give up their secrets as this is a commonly overlooked/misunderstood part of the sport. 
Ethan

32eml24

Okay, not many replies.  I'll try to be even more specific.  It's between HB 385 ci Di, HB 597 ci, or the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI/Chartplotter combo.  Please pick one for the bow of the boat!
Ethan 

SethV

Either the HB 597 or Lowrance Elite 5 will work.  Screens are both kinda small for GPS and Sonar - and you need to see both at the same time, but they will work.  HB has better customer service.  I tend to like Lowrance sonar images better.  Really, both are good units.  I have 2 Lowrance's and 2 HB's on my boat.

I don't know the screen sizes of those 2 units off the top of my head, but if one screen is wider than the other, that would be my choice.

Waterfoul

You don't NEED down imaging to drop shot fish under the boat... been "playing video games" with my Humminbird 587 on the bow for years.  Most people here know I'm kinda, well.... a drop shot addict, so I think I can speak with some authority.

Go with a 'Bird.  Free updates when they are available, great customer service, and you can swap transducers with them for free on the initial purchase (get the trolling motor xducer... no bracket needed).
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Bender

I'll agree with Seth, but the standard sonar has gotten a lot better in the last year on the HBs. I have 2 Lowrance and 1 HB on my boat and want to add another HB next year. I'm not completely sure because I don't use it much, but I don't think that you would be able to see your d.s. rig on down imaging. It is very easy to see on traditional sonar, I even rigged one of mine up for ice fishing which is basically the same on the sonar. You see the bait drop down and the fish comes up to it.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Waterfoul

Dang... thanks Bender... I meant to mention that it's actually very difficult to see the small drop shot weight and bait on the down imager view as compared to the standard sonar.  With the right settings on the sonar, you can call your shots, and some times even call the size!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

I just ordered an HB 597 ci HD combo last week.  If you don't need the mounting bracket and transducer, HB is selling them on their website for $380.00.  If you do need the whole package, the new BPS catalogue has them for $499.00.

I am going w/ the 597 at the bow, and looking for a HB Side imaging unit for the console.

32eml24

Well the 597 it is then! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Now Waterfoul, I'll have to take you to some of my hot spots so you can teach me how to use the dang thing sometime soon! Spring can't come soon enough!

VinceR

If you've narrowed your selection down to HB, I would recommend that you go with one of the units in the 700 series. The units in the 700 series can be "networked". This may be important in the future if you decide to upgrade your console unit, and opt for a HB SI or DI unit.

All of the 700, 800, 900, and 1100 series units are network capable, the 300 and 500 series are not.

Waterfoul

Quote from: 32eml24 on December 30, 2011, 11:48:24 PM
Well the 597 it is then! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Now Waterfoul, I'll have to take you to some of my hot spots so you can teach me how to use the dang thing sometime soon! Spring can't come soon enough!

Anytime!

huston

Try and wire your HB on the Bow directly to a power source since TM interference has been a problem with these units and some Trolling Motors.