Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:10:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

San Diego Chargers vs. Detroit Lions

Started by Skulley, December 24, 2011, 10:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

Well sports fans, today's game is a "must win" for not only the Detroit Lions but also their opponent, the San Diego Chargers.  I will be there this afternoon and I hope the Lions can pull it out..............however..............the Chargers are the hottest team in pro football right now.  They have been coined a December team and if they beat the Lions today are a step closer to a wild card spot in the AFC.  The Lions are in the same boat.  A win today gives them their playoff spot which to me was more important than my 8 and 8 prediction.  This will be a high scoring "shootout" and either team can win.  Since my 8 and 8 prediction is already history, they now have to make the playoffs. I said they wouldn't.  I still think they are going to self-destruct, although last week against the Raiders they showed us that they can win the tight games when they need too in the last 2 minutes and going into the 2 minute drill.  If this week pans out to be the same, they can really make me a believer if they pull out a win against this Charger team.  At 7 and 7 the Chargers bring a young, confident quarterback in Phil Rivers.  He matches up well with Stafford.

This should be again the game of the week in the NFL.  A lot is on the line for both teams.  I hope the Lions can pull this one out.  This will be a nail biter.......

BD                         ;D  
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

LAPORTE

Lions look good so far but.... alot of game left 17 zip good guys
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Waterfoul

Keep Rivers throwing from his back foot and the Lions will win this game going away.  The D-line needs to keep up the pressure.

Stafford looks good today too...
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Durand Dan

24-0 Halftime. Must be good luck having Big Dog in in the house!! ;D

LAPORTE

Big stop on 4th down .... yea baby Go BLUE
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

mikesmiph

A very decisive win today. Should give them a little momentum going to Lambeau next week. PLAYOFFS here we come.

djkimmel

Was it BD's presence?!? Or was it THIS GUY?!?

Who cares! They won!! Go Lions! Detroit Rock City!!! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

Rock ON!!! What a game.  They even looked a bit like a playoff team.

detroit1

Merry Christmas Lions fans. Awesome game. The best part of the game was the victory lap the team made afterwards, lead by coach. I slapped 5 and patted shoulder pads and helmets of every player as they came by. The Detroit Free Press has a picture (#51 of 57) that shows Stafford shaking my wifes' hand.(I'm on her right, with Stafford jersey) Best Christmas ever!!  GO  LIONS !!!
WAVE THERAPY

t-bone

BD's pessimistic predictions have been fun to read from the beginning of the season but I think it might be time to hop on the bandwagon and enjoy the gift the Lions have brought us this year.
What a great game they played yesterday. Got off to an impressive start and when the "hottest team in the league" tried to get it going, the Lions responded quickly and just put them away.

Come on over to our side BD, it is so much more enjoyable over here... you'll love it, I swear you will!

11-5 is possible but it doesn't really matter - we are in!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

11-5 was my prediction in the poll! C'mon Lions!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mojo

This team, after 4 comeback wins and mauling the AFCs hottest team, is not going to self destruct. I want everyone to mark this game. I think it has implications that growing teams take. they believe they can play AND beat the best in the NFL. And that's dangerous indeed.

I predict 1 playoff win in 2011 beating NO (if 6th seed) but losing to GB, and with Matt healthy, an NFC title shot in 2012. if they get the 5th seed they win the first but I can't see them winning 3 road games. Tough road. Good luck Leos !!!!!!!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Skulley

Quote from: t-bone on December 25, 2011, 02:50:32 PM
BD's pessimistic predictions have been fun to read from the beginning of the season but I think it might be time to hop on the bandwagon and enjoy the gift the Lions have brought us this year.
What a great game they played yesterday. Got off to an impressive start and when the "hottest team in the league" tried to get it going, the Lions responded quickly and just put them away.

Come on over to our side BD, it is so much more enjoyable over here... you'll love it, I swear you will!

11-5 is possible but it doesn't really matter - we are in!

T-Bone, I ain't that easy.   :o   I can't hop on the bandwagon until they win in the playoffs.   :o   I said that at the beginning of the season and I have to stick by that.  I have been through seasons where the Lions made the playoffs and then lost in the first round.  Whether you get off to an impressive 5 and 0 start and then win two "must win" games in a row, the Lions have not been truly tested.  I don't care how many times Mojo paints his face, they have to win in the playoffs.  I remember when they made the playoffs one year and then lost 5 to 0 in the first round.  How do you lose 5 to 0 in a football game??  It certainly isn't timely hitting and good pitching by the other team.  Some of you may not be old enough to remember that disappointment and I believe it was against the Dallas Cowboys in the same season they beat the Cowboys.  As enjoyable as you say it is, and yes you know I'll love it, I am not jumping on the bandwagon for next year unless they win the all important 1st round game.  T-bone I am getting too much enjoyment from being the pessimist.  Eventually, I will get to say "I told you so".  When the Lions were losing games they probably should have won during the regular season, Ellipsis thanked me for not ragging on you guys for the loses because he knew as well as I did during that time, that they were losing games they should have won.  They should have a better record than they do now.............they should and we all know it.

Quote from: Mojo on December 26, 2011, 12:43:51 AM
Gosh - that guy in the outrageous Gene (mojo) Simmons lion makeup looks awfully familiar !!!! You guyS - I have never been to a greater Lions game ! I too got to shake hands with coach and Matt !!! We saw a star emerge in # 9. Now that GB clinched home field, they rest em next week - and the Lions winning that game  forces Atlanta to a must win out. Otherwise Detroit gets the 5th seed.

If Detroit gets 5th seed they travel to Giants / Cowboys and this is a VERY winnable game. Many variables play to this point but if Atlanta goes back to NO (3. Seed) and wins, the Lions will be on a collision course to repay the 49ers - and dare I say that is another winnable game. Could we see Detroit get to the NFC title ? Are we peaking and gelling at the right time ??

Mojo, I don't care how many times you paint your face to look like the Detroit Lions Demon, but they won't win in the first round.    ::)   They haven't truly been tested all season long.  They may beat Green Bay this coming week at Lambeau just like last year, but that proves nothing.  The coaching staff at Green Bay knows what it takes to win and a loss to the Lions on January 1 ending the regular season means nothing to them.  A win for the Lions means more as this gives the Lions the momentum they need going into a 1st round playoff game.  The Lions need the win more than the Packers in the last game of the regular season.  Stafford has a long way to go before he becomes a star because he really hasn't been tested and he has only been in the league for two years.  However, he is approaching that "star" status.  First of all the Lions still have to protect him and protect him the way they did against San Diego.  I can't believe the time they gave him to pass.  That was a first.  But, Stafford is still hurt and throwing side arm.  Not really a good sign.  You got to have a healthy quarterback and you got to protect him at all costs.  Great predictions Mojo, but I think you'll be joining me for a "crow" sandwich with cheese and mustard for this year.  Next year with a whole off season to get healthy, Stafford may get them to a NFC Title game.  But he has to stay healthy and the O line needs to protect him better, otherwise I won't be the one eating crow..............again.

Remember fellas, love me, hate me, or love to hate me for the things I have said about the Lions this season, I have stuck by my predictions.  They got past the 8 and 8 finished and probably surprised each and every one of us.............especially me.  DK still can get his prediction right with a win Sunday.  Personally I don't think the Packers are going to let that happen two seasons in a row.

It has been a fun season messing with you guys and you guys messing with me, but it ain't over until the fat lady sings and I can hear her warming up her singing voice.   :P   

BD                            ;D   

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mojo

8-8 wasn't a bad prediction based on past performances. So this is all gravy people. (not a bad gene impersonation though eh ? That was done on the fly before the game !!!!)  I'll stand by them winning a playoff game. And I'm also standing by Matt Stafford. He has no media or region putting him in front of us like Sanchez, tebow, and romo. Ugh. They are all a Kyle Orton surrounded by decent players. stafford is above them in talent.

Yes rings crown the kings, but I watched Brady excel young in his career and stafford has that same laser like arm. Plus he is going to his 3rd guy, 36 Touchdowns ? Yes I stand firm - A STAR is being born. Those 36 put him behind only Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees and tie him with Tom Brady for most TD passes this season. That's special company for a quarterback completing his first full year.

Mojo

Pete prisco of CBS sports wrote today (after I wrote it on GLB, and after I wrote to Pete wondering where's the love for Detroit   Lol ) :

The Detroit Lions were 0-16 three years ago.

Now they're in the playoffs, which is more proof of the most important lesson NFL:
Get that franchise passer, and you will not only become a winner but a team that can stay there.

The Lions drafted Matt Stafford with the first overall pick in 2009. Now here they are in 2011, ready to play a postseason game for the first time since 1999. Detroit blew out San Diego on Saturday afternoon to earn that playoff berth. They did so behind the right arm of Stafford. He completed 29 of 36 passes for 373 yards and three touchdowns.

Lions fans can point to coach Jim Schwartz and the team's tough defensive line as the reasons the Lions are in the playoffs, but the reality is it's because of Stafford.

In his first two years, Stafford struggled to stay on the field, starting only 13 games because of injuries. This season, he's played in all 15 games and has thrown for 4,528 yards with 36 touchdown passes. Those 36 put him behind only Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees and tie him with Tom Brady for most TD passes this season. That's special company for a third-year quarterback.

In his first two injury-plagued seasons, Stafford flashed star quality. But the injuries led to his being labeled as a fragile player.

This year, he fought through some minor injuries to lead the Lions to the playoffs.

I wasn't sure about the Lions before the season. Even though I liked Stafford, I thought they had offensive line issues and the secondary had problems.

But Stafford has been so good that they've worked through that, overcoming their deficiencies. It also helps that Stafford has Calvin Johnson on the other end of his passes.

The amazing thing is that the Lions are doing it without a running attack. They are 27th in rushing, further showing Stafford's value to this team.

After beating the Chargers, Schwartz said there would be a day when the franchise wouldn't just celebrate making the playoffs like they planned to do that night. That's because this is a team being built for so much more. And Matt Stafford is the reason why.

t-bone

I don't think Stafford is the least bit hurt and he is not throwing sidearm, except when he needs to. I saw a guy throwing the ball with the most velocity I've seen all season. He was throwing some lasers and putting the ball where it needed to be. Sure he under threw CJ on the first pass, but he can outrun any QB and most D-backs.

You have to take steps towards being a great team and this group is taking the first step of making the playoffs. I was a season ticket holder with the wings for 20+ years and watched a team take those steps from dead wings, making the playoffs, to getting to the finals, to raising the cup.
I really believe the Lions are a runningback and a couple d-backs away from the next step. The challenge with the NFL is you better do that fast because guys can't play 20 years in this league (except for Hanson).

That sports writer really hit the nail on the head with the franchise player. Look no further than the colts for proof. The only difference has been one franchise player.
2003: 12-4
2004: 12-4
2005: 14-2
2006: 12-4
2007: 13-3 (Superbowl Champs)
2008: 12-4
2009: 14-2 (Superbowl losers)
2010: 10-6
2011: 2 wins....

in 2000 and 2002, they lost wild cards playoffs...

I'm thinking this is something the Lions can achieve! Dream Big!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

detroit1

Nobody hates you bigdog, (at least not your Lions takes.) Right now, the only team that scares me is/are the Saints. The 49ers make me a little nervous, the Packers:50/50, and nobody in the east. Whatever happens, it's been a good season....GO LIONS!!!!!
WAVE THERAPY

blakstr1

i'm right there with you detroit1.....the Saints sure look like the team right now (of course i would look at any reason to look away from the Packers... but truly i think the cheese is a bit too moldy this year, at least now with the injuries)

but 100% true... nobody wants to face the Lions in the playoffs guaranteed.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com