Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

GM Pick up truck spare tire issues

Started by yukonjack2, December 22, 2011, 12:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukonjack2

With the boats all winterized and put away for the season, I stumbled on an additional task to be done before the really cold sets in.  Check your spare tire under your GM pick-up/SUV. 

I hade a tire go flat in the driveway last week - luckily it was at home.   Jacked it up, removed the flat and went to the back of my Av to get the spare.  Took the tools and cranked it down - only the cable comes down. 
Apparently there is some secondary latch mechanism that holds the tire up in place.  The lock mechanism has a corrosion issue and will not release, even trying the release procedure in the manual.  I said - now what? Took the tire in my car to be fixed at a local tire store and inquired about getting the spare off - guy said - have a silverado?  I guess I'm always the last to know.

Go online and google silverado spare tire removal - thousands of entries on people with issues getting them off.

There are several solutions to this issue - if it does not come off - you need to put on a hoist, lower cable, take weight off tire with a jack, spray the secondary release with a penetrant, and then squeeze the release with a large set of channel locks until it releases.  this is not easy as there is not much room to work above the tire.
Once off (with lots of choice words), there is another choice to be made.  Grease the lock mechanism if its in decent shape, replace from dealer with a new one ( not sure why if the first one corroded), or take a cutoff wheel and remove the lock mechanism portion of the tube.  I took this approach as the boating environment is severe enough putting in/out of the water all the time that it will corrode up fast even with a new one.  there is a great u-tube video on this.

I was lucky that this happened at home and I had tools and another car to get back on the road.  If you are towing a boat to a tourney it could be a very expensive flat (tourney fees, tow bill, food/beer for someone to come get you,...etc) all because of a crappy design.  now would be a good time to check it out before you have an issue.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Jack

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Mike S.

Heck, my Silverado hasn't had a spare tire under it since I bought it. It's a 2000, and the spare has ridden in the bed since I got the truck in 04. Can't even get the cable to come down on mine. I have always been a Chevy guy, but there have been so many stupid little things with this truck, I think my next one will be a Ford.

Redbone

I have an Avalanche and I'm pretty sure its the same design.  Now that you mentioned it I had trouble last time I messed with it.  I'm pretty sure I am going to put this at the top of my list of things to do.   :)  Thanks for the heads up.

LAPORTE

Quote from: mikeszr800 on December 22, 2011, 04:57:56 AM
  I think my next one will be a Ford.

Let me know Mike I can set you up with a nice discount on a Ford  ;D
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Cy

I had the same issue with my Yukon.  I had to screw with for an hour or two and ended up taking a cutoff wheel to the cable to get the tire down.  I have to admit I still haven't replaced that stupid tire winch system.  The part is around $150.00 but I think the same thing will happen again on the new one.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

YpsiBass

Had the same issue on my Dakota actually.  I had to get it serviced and even then it took the guy a half an hour to loosen the little latch mechanism. 

djkimmel

I had similar happen too with one of my old Ford's and an older GMC. I never thought about checking the mechanism ahead of time. Of course, I was on the highway, it was cold and wet, and dark... and I didn't have enough hands to hold a flashlight, check the manual and wrench on the parts that may or may not be right! I don't remember how I got it off but I remember my face was very red and I wasn't good company for several hours afterwards! I also remember several large bruises and missing skin from a number of places!

Good to have a reminder about maintenance and looking for more convenient options maybe. I'll throw in my annual 'check your outboard motor mounting bolts for tightness' reminder. And maybe the hitch bolts and hitch ball nut too! Don't want that to happen (again!!!).

I don't have a place for a spare on my giant dually. I don't even carry one. I don't think I'll be buying a dually again unless I win the lotto and can afford to pack a mechanic and tools with me wherever I go! You ever try to get one of those back tires off one of those things?!? It's HAMMER Time!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Yep, brother had the same problem with his Avalanche recently.  Not sure what year it is.

joshimoto son

I had the same problem a few years ago and for some stupid reason... I decided to tighten it in case there was some mystical "gravity" type latch.
Well... there was no mystery latch, but what I did accomplish was depressing the latching mechanism and the tire went down nice as could be!!! That was on my 2003 Yukon.
I recently had to change the tire on my 2008 Sierra and tried it... It took a few more cranks than I thought, but the tire went straight down.

So yes... I'm saying try to over-tighten it and listen for it to "click"... it took a few "clicks" on the 2008, only once on the 2003.

I hope this helps.

joshimotoson  ;D