Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Alabama rigs in Michigan.

Started by bassinman#1, December 09, 2011, 02:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassinman#1

Can you legally fish an Alabama rig in Michigan? (5 hooks on one line)

TCook

From what I have read they are this is one technique I am not going to be slow to jump on board with.  I have been stocking up on the necessary gear and have a box full already. 
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

I believe so. I will attempt to ask the Lansing MDNR spokesperson before spring season starts.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fasttrack

Its been like 20 yrs since I worked in sporting goods and was really up on all the nuances of laws. Seems like i remember back then something about no more than two 'rigs' on one line. Like a perch/crappie rig with two hooks - people were always asking about more hooks on it and we had to explain it was illegal (or so my boss taught us). But I could be all washed up....Fill us in DJK when u find out.
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

djkimmel

Yeah, the regulations have changed since then but I want to get an official interpretation on the rig from Lansing before I say anything. It is on my todo list.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

It's preety clear cut
Your allowed 6 hooks, so it's legel

"Hook and Line Fishing: Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water immediately. No more than three lines per person (including tip-ups) nor more than six hooks or lures may be used. All hooks attached to an artificial bait or "night crawler harness" are counted as one hook. Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial bait. You may use any number of hooks on one line for taking smelt in recognized smelt waters. Tip-ups and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler's name and address. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain streams (see Exceptions to General Regulations by County, p. 16-18). "

what's not clear cut would be
Is it one lure or 5
"All hooks attached to an artificial bait or "night crawler harness" are counted as one hook."

If it's one lure under the current law you could fish 5 more and still be legal
But who's going to be able to fish more then one at a time

Most Tournament rules are one rod at a time for Bass any ways

Rodz

This was just sent from D&R Sports

ATTENTION: In the state of Michigan you can attach no more than 3 baits to this rig. Please consult your state's fishing regulations prior to use.

djkimmel

I wonder what they are going by. I'll ask Randy if I get a chance. I'm still going to try to get an official word from Lansing before spring.

Manxfishing

Did anybody notice
The price jumped 3 bucks now that Mann bought the rights to the rig.
There still back odered, But there now 27,99

Reading the FLW mag this weekend
The swim bait Paul E. was throwing was the Mann hard nose
I bought a bunch of those a few years back when TW was clearing them out for 2.99. So I'm at least stocked up on those

bassinman#1

Talked to the manager at Bass pro shops, and he said they got a bunched ordered and should have them by the march madness sale.

djkimmel

Or... you can order 3 different models from Bass Tackle Depot for less than $20 down to $16.99. And several others for $24.99. Save some money. The fish won't know.

YpsiBass

Curious what kind of setup you guys will be throwing with these.  I'm thinking some heavy braid and a swimbait type rod.

bassinman#1

If you think about it, there are 9 hooks on a jerkbait. each treble hook has 3.

TCook

Quote from: Ellipsis on December 13, 2011, 10:11:45 AM
Curious what kind of setup you guys will be throwing with these.  I'm thinking some heavy braid and a swimbait type rod.

I plan on starting out with my loomis bcfr894 flipping stick and 65lb braid. I am expecting to realize quickly that it will not be enough rod to sling the a-rig and will probably have to get an 8ft heavy swimbait rod.
FISH HARD!!!

KLAKE

Curious what kind of setup you guys will be throwing with these.  I'm thinking some heavy braid and a swimbait type rod.

7' MH rod, and 15lb co-poly. Cxx or YZ Hybrid.

I've got a few ideas that should make this possible....

TCook

Quote from: KLAKE on December 13, 2011, 12:34:46 PM
Curious what kind of setup you guys will be throwing with these.  I'm thinking some heavy braid and a swimbait type rod.

Good luck with that setup you better be rigging it with small swimbaits/grubs weightless even then it would weigh 2 ounces or more. Not to mention if you snag up your $40 rig its not comming back.
FISH HARD!!!

Waterfoul

As heavy as they are, the very first time you have any kind of backlash using anything other than braid that thing is going to go sailing into the next county.  I've thrown it several times now, and I won't be throwing mine on anything less than 50 lb braid.

By spring I'll be throwing it on a 7'11" MH Shimano Crucial swimbait rod with a Shimano Curado and 50-65 lb Power Pro.

Going to get myself a nice new lure retriever too!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TCook

Quote from: Waterfoul on December 13, 2011, 12:48:30 PM

As heavy as they are, the very first time you have any kind of backlash using anything other than braid that thing is going to go sailing into the next county.  I've thrown it several times now, and I won't be throwing mine on anything less than 50 lb braid.

By spring I'll be throwing it on a 7'11" MH Shimano Crucial swimbait rod with a Shimano Curado and 50-65 lb Power Pro.

Going to get myself a nice new lure retriever too!

Depending on how heavy the wire is on your jigheads you should be able to straighten them out when hung up with 65lb braid. Although considering in what situations we will be likley throwing the a-rig I dont think hangups will be a big issue. I think the biggest problem is how long will the wire on the rigs hold up to bending into place over and over. If they will break as often as some spinnerbaits it could get costly.
FISH HARD!!!

Bender

I have one so far just to play around with and it is rigged with 5 small swimbaits. It's really not too heavy and I don't think that casting it will be much of a problem. I imagine that there are so many different varieties of this rig that it really depends on which one you are using. I haven't looked too much at the ones they were using down South, but I imagine that they were heavy for fishing deep the same as the big heavy jigs they use while fishing the ledges. Now if this darned ice will go away I can go try it!
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com