email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting HDS Units  (Read 2774 times)

Big dreams

Connecting HDS Units
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »

Been trying to figure out what exactly is needed to link two HDS units so I can share GPS functions between the two units.  Besides the ethernet cables, what else is needed? Thanks

t-bone

• GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • 2013 Ranger z520c & 2014 Ford F-150
  • View Gallery
Re: Connecting HDS Units
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »

You can link units via NMEA 2000 (red/black connector) or Ethernet (yellow cable), or both. With HDS units, the only reason you need NMEA 2000 is to run optional NMEA devices (external antenna, temp sensor, SonicHub, etc.) Otherwise, you can just Ethernet link, and share sonar (network sonar), run and share StructureScan, and hook up Sirius radio/weather. Ethernet also provides "complete" wpt sharing between units (new wpts, deleting and editing wpts, etc.). With NMEA 2000 wpt sharing, it is new wpts only, and only if both units are on.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Big dreams

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »

Thanks t-bone!  Just to clarify, I do not need the NMEA 2000 for sharing waypoints.  The only thing I need to do is link them using the Yellow Lowrance Ethernet cable?  Nothing in between, just a straight shot from unit to unit?  If this is correct, I see the price for a 15' cable is about $45, does this sound right?

Thanks a million

t-bone

• GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • 2013 Ranger z520c & 2014 Ford F-150
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:35:50 AM »

The information I provided came from a Lowrance resource so I'd just give them a call but that is my understanding. I use the NMEA cords - I have an external antenna and the structurescan all shared between two HDS-5's
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

bigjc

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 11:22:34 PM »

The information I provided came from a Lowrance resource so I'd just give them a call but that is my understanding. I use the NMEA cords - I have an external antenna and the structurescan all shared between two HDS-5's

T-bone, so have you been with someone using Humminbirds?  how would you compare HBs with your HDS?  I am really having trouble deciding!!   ???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge