Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:21:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

fishing in the wind

Started by karol, September 18, 2011, 09:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karol

hey guys, went with 2 of my bros saturday and ended up with windy conditions with 65 degree water, the wind was from the east and piled up on the west side which is usally a good spot in the spring. the lake has a large 4-6 ft flat in that area before it drops off to 22 ft. would this be square billed time or chatterbait or should a swimming jig work better? thanks again..karol

bigjc

Sounds like the chatterbait or a spinner bait could be the ticket.  Don't rule out a trap though.

Anthony Adams

Is the flat weedy? Are you finding your fish on the flat or on the Drop edge?

If the flat has weeds I would go for the chatter bait. It's easier to cast in windy conditions and can be retrieved through the weeds.

If the flat is sandy and rocky I would go for the square billed crank bait. Crank it fast so that it skips off the tops of the rocks.

If the fish are more towards the drop edges I would go with a tube, heavier texas rigged soft plastic or a drop shot if I find them on the deeper side.

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

t-bone

I had a similar condition in a tournament this weekend. Found a 2-5 foot point with with chunk rock at Grand lake and used a medium running crank to dig over the rocks. I had 5 keepers on in less than 10 casts. I was getting frustrated trying to find a lure that would be effective in the wind, so I started throwing a red-eyed shad and then I came across this rocky point and decided to crank it. The fish were feeding on crawfish, so I thought the crank would be a better choice. The fish liked it!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

karol

the flat is mostly clear with rocks and sand and scattered weed beds toward the drop off. It's dewart lake in the warsaw area, what would be a good color for that lake?

a lot of the rockbass have crawdads in their bellies and so do the bass that i keep if ther'e too hurt to release. should i get some subtle colors or more brighter colors to get their attentention?

got a 25.00 gift card to lunkers and looking for tips on some good shallow running cranks too..thanks again..karol