Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fishing lower michigan

Started by Pns638, September 13, 2011, 03:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pns638

I am headed to Michigan next weekend. I was going to fish BFL but had no link to a boater. So I pulled out of that. I will be there and looking to see what advice. I will be near the portage chain of lakes near Pinckney. Any one have any other lakes that are doing well on the fall bite?

djkimmel

Lake St. Clair would be a good, though challenging choice.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

Quote from: Pns638 on September 13, 2011, 03:10:08 PM
I am headed to Michigan next weekend. I was going to fish BFL but had no link to a boater. So I pulled out of that. I will be there and looking to see what advice. I will be near the portage chain of lakes near Pinckney. Any one have any other lakes that are doing well on the fall bite?

The Portage chain's not bad
But I myself think the better fish are a few lakes up

Kent's close and it has some nice fish

BIGSHOW

Why is St.clair challenging? Just wondered, I accually never fished it.Only Lake Erie and the River.

djkimmel

The first time I went there on my own EVERYTHING looked good! Even on a lake full of fish like St. Clair though, they can't be everywhere. At least not in good size and numbers everywhere.

Early fall can be challenging because the lake is so big and the bass are moving a lot day-to-day and hour-to-hour. If you do find a school though - Wow! It's worth it!

I've had some good years where it felt like I had tennis elbow from September through October! Back when I used to go there a lot anyway.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bender

I really like the Portage Chain and have been fishing there quite a bit recently. There is a lot of water out there, just be very careful in the river between the lakes. Generally stick close to the right hand shore when going up the river. Just before entering Strawberry Lake (if you go that far up) stay very close to the rock wall on the right. The river is very shallow and there is no dredged or marked channel, as I have found in most navigable waters in other states.

Kent can be really good too and isn't far away.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

I always like Portage Chain though it has been 5, 6 maybe 7 years since I last visited. Used to fish there a lot because of the great variety of fishing waters reachable by boat.

Manxfishing

Quote from: djkimmel on September 15, 2011, 03:47:38 PM
I always like Portage Chain though it has been 5, 6 maybe 7 years since I last visited. Used to fish there a lot because of the great variety of fishing waters reachable by boat.

I myself love the party store between the lakes

Pns638

I grew up on the portage chain. I was hoping for other lakes to be mentioned. Kent seems like it could be fun. Any one been out there at all. Are the fish shallow now

djkimmel

Try Lobdell Lake. Haven't been there this year but it is a pretty good bass lake most of the time.

Manxfishing

Quote from: Pns638 on September 16, 2011, 10:16:57 PM
I grew up on the portage chain. I was hoping for other lakes to be mentioned. Kent seems like it could be fun. Any one been out there at all. Are the fish shallow now

I fished Kent 2 weeks ago
Lots of small fish in front of the beach
didn't find much down by Buno rd
the best bite was on the break line on the deep hole in front of the west launch
or the sand hump by the island by the e-way
But it's alllot cooler these days

Bender

I fished Kent for 2 hours from shore on Thursday evening and did pretty well, caught 6 with the biggest being a 3 or 4# smallie. I went there last night in my boat and it the bite was OFF, I only caught 2 shorts. I imagine the cold front caught up with them but it should be warming again this weekend so I imagine they will be back on the feed soon.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Skulley

Woodland Lake is a pretty good option in that area.  You may give that a try.  Lake Chemung although not one of my favorites is another.

Quote from: BIGSHOW on September 15, 2011, 12:12:05 AM
Why is St.clair challenging? Just wondered, I accually never fished it.Only Lake Erie and the River.

I have always gone to Erie more in the fall BIGSHOW.  I have always felt that Erie fishes better in the fall and LSC fishes better in the spring.  There are others that would say the opposite.  There are some other inland lakes that are better in the fall than in the spring.  For example, Ford Lake fishes pretty good in the spring but really turns on in the fall when the water temps drop into the lower 50's.  Belleville is good in the spring, tough during the summer, and then turns on again in the fall.  Woodland is a better fall season lake.  Long Lake in Oakland County is good all season long.  Orchard really shines in the fall.  White Lake in Oakland County is good in the spring and then again in the fall but does have some great top water fishing through the summer.  It's really a matter of what you prefer.  I have spent a lot of time on the water over the years and do have my preferences.  I like fall fishing a little bit better than spring......at least for largemouths.  That's why I say I like Erie and the Lower Detroit better in the fall.  If the smallies aren't on, you can always catch some pretty hefty largies up the river.  Time on the water is what it's all about at the end of the day to coin a phrase.  That's just my opinion. 

BD                      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com