Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Caring for Spinning Reels

Started by blakstr1, June 23, 2006, 06:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

Tips & Tactics
Ensuring that a spinning reel is ready for action demands some regular care
By Andy Crawford
BASS Times, June 2006

Elite angler Bill Lowen is one pro who keeps spinning gear in his arsenal.Spinning equipment definitely has its place in bass fishing. Spinning tackle, for example, is required gear when downsizing lures. It also allows an angler to more easily "skip" baits under docks and overhanging cover, places where baitcasting gear becomes a backlashing liability.

Ensuring that a spinning reel is ready for action demands some regular care, however. "If you want a car to last a long time, you take care of it," says Quantum's Bob Bagby. "The same thing is true of a fishing reel: You've got to perform some basic maintenance. You're going to get out of a reel what you put into it from a maintenance standpoint."

Bagby points out that the frequency of that maintenance depends on the environment in which the reel is being used. "If you're in a muddy, swampy area, you need to care for the reel more often," Bagby says. Bagby points out that using Quantum's Hot Sauce, a lubricant designed specifically for use on reels, during maintenance on any reel can extend the life of a reel even more.

"It actually bonds to the [reel] material at a molecular level," he says. "You still need a thin layer of lubrication, but even if it goes dry you'll still have that corrosion barrier."

Bagby notes that more detailed care can be done annually on spinning reels but requires significantly more disassembly. The simple steps below, however, can reduce the amount of major care needed. "It's an insurance policy," he says. "You will greatly increase the life of a reel with a little maintenance."

Here are some valuable tips on how to get the most out of your spinning reels:

Cleaning

Bagby says that removing dirt and grime is even more important with spinning reels than it is with baitcasting reels. "The [spool] shaft will transfer dirt and grime to the working mechanisms," he adds.

He warns against spraying equipment down with a water hose, suggesting instead that reels be lightly misted with water and wiped down with a rag. "It's a mist and wipe, not just dousing it with a high-pressure stream of water," Bagby says. "But you want to get that grime off of the reel."

Drive gear bearings

You can gain access to drive-gear bearings by removing the handle of the reel. The bearings will be found on either side of the frame. "Put a couple of drops of oil on the drive-gear bearings, and that's it," Bagby says. The handle can be replaced.

Line roller/bail hinges

The next step is to add a drop of oil on the line roller. "You can take the line roller off and the bearing out," says Bagby. "But if everything looks clean, just put a drop of oil there and that will work fine." Another drop of oil on both hinges of the bail completes this area of maintenance. "That will help the bail perform more freely," he says.

Drag

Drag assemblies on spinning reels are different from those on baitcasting reels. First, they are contained on the front of the spool. Second, they are composed of several layers.

"Make sure you note the order that these washers go back into the reel," Bagby says. Use a small screwdriver to pop out the clip on the front of the drag stack. The washers will drop out. A small amount of drag grease on each of the drag washers will help prevent tournament-winning bass from breaking off, he adds.

Before replacing the drag washers (in the proper order) and clipping them back in place, Bagby recommends wiping out the drag seat and the front of the spool to remove any grit that might interfere with smooth drag operation. "Make sure everything is clean, reassemble that drag stack, put the clip back in and you're ready to go," he says.

Drive shaft

Remove the drag knob on the front of the reel and pull the spool off the drive shaft. After wiping the shaft clear of any grime, Bagby says, add a bit of oil. "All you have to do is run a little bead of oil up both sides, and then work the rotor," he says. "That will pull some of the lubrication down into the reel and help lubricate that clutch bearing and the bearing on front of the pinion."

Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

REEL_MAN

Good write up. there are a couple of things that also should be noted: ;D When Bob is talking about a drop of oil he is referring to the use of a needle oiler. To much oil will actually slow a bearing, attract dirt and make things worse. If you use a line treatment try to protect the reel itself from the spray it also will attract dirt. A clean reel will last years and years and at the cost of $200 and higher for the top of the line reels you need to take the time to keep them clean to make them last.
I clean and repair reels all of the time and the two min reasons for problems is lack of cleaning and people trying to clean their reel and not getting it back together properly.? :'( A reel may not look complicated, but if you don't put the parts back where they belong and in the right orientation you can damage your reel.? If you don't want to take the risk, take it to someone that works on reels professionally, it can save you money in the long run. ;)

REEL_MAN

blakstr1

thanks for the added tips and clarification REEL MAN... helps to get the info from a pro! ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Dropshot

Reel Man,

Great post. I love taking a part and cleaning my reels. The only problem is sometimes, unexpectedly, parts go flying when I take the a part the reel. Is they an easy way to prevent this ? Also, the diagrams that come with the reels are not very helpful with putting the reels back together. Is there somewhere I can get better diagrams ?
Joe

blakstr1

thats a great point and question...i know a couple guys that haven't been able to get them back to working order after they've cleaned them... :'(
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Dan

Hey Reel Man,
Do you repair and clean reels. If so what do you charge? I have a hard time finding someone to send reels too.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

REEL_MAN

Dan,
Yes, I do clean and repair reels as well as rods. I work out of the Angler in Helmer, IN., But, I'm not posting here to solicit work though.  I just want to help eliminate problems as much as possible. Nothing is more frustrating than to have problems in a tournament. (it's a mental melt down :-\').
Dropshot, Your question about schematics; the ones that come with your reel are the same as I have only mine are larger (easier on the eyes). The detail really isn't much better and the drawings are VERY generic. Also, the parts that go flying are call "G" parts, when they fly you say GEE I wonder where that spring went and I've had a few of those :D 
If you all have any questions on rods or reels let me know and if you wonder how I fix rods ask RUFUS he's one of my best customers ;D

REEL_MAN

bshaner

Just as an aside, with my quantum I had 2 GEE parts, fortunately I found one spring,  the other one I could not find.

I called quantum and the guy asked me what the part number was, what my name and address was and said it will be there in 5 to 7 days, have a great day.

No charge, no hassle, no questions.  I kind of liked that.  I was impressed.

Just FYI incase you lose a part.  I dont know how the other companies are but there ya go.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

I emailed REEL_MAN and told him to go ahead and let you guys know how to get things to him if you ask. I know we can all use the services of a good repair place. He seems like a nice person and a great addition to the forum.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.