Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fine levied at Northern Open

Started by djkimmel, September 02, 2011, 04:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Fine levied at Northern Open

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Nate Wellman, winner of the Bass Pro Shops Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Erie last week, has been penalized for rules violations during the tournament.

B.A.S.S. officials today released the following statement:

"Bassmaster Elite Series angler Nate Wellman has been fined and placed on a one-year probation due to violation of B.A.S.S. tournament rule 3(vii), which prohibits 'suggesting to another competitor that he violate these (B.A.S.S.) rules.' After an investigation, B.A.S.S. officials found that the outcome of the tournament and the final results were in no way compromised and did not result in changes to the final standings of the Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Erie. The fine monies will be donated to the Ohio B.A.S.S. Federation Nation to support its conservation efforts."

Read complete story on Bassmaster.com.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Let this be some kind of lesson to everyone - boaters NEVER 'joke' about rules violations or bring them up in any way - there is no 'what if' in these cases if we want the sport to be taken seriously and prosper. Non-boaters - you must always take this seriously and report it and any boater who 'jokes' about such a thing should expect that you are going to report it. I will back you up no matter what some people say because there is ZERO room for this kind of behavior and the major, smart circuits know that even if some individuals aren't smart enough or don't have enough scruples to know it!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

The word on BBC and facebook is Wellman was not joking and seriously tried to buy his coanglers 4#+ fish on day 3 to improve his bag. He supposedly asked 4 times throughout the day and went into detail about moving location to exchange fish and getting the Co 1k from his dad back at the weigh-in. What a boneheaded decision on Nate's part...
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

Since I wasn't there I will only go as far as saying he did admit 'joking' about it and that alone is enough to be punished by whatever the rules allow. All boaters should know better. It is a terrible place to put the co-angler in. I know I felt horrible for days after it happened to me. I almost quit tournament fishing because of it and one earlier incident.

bmck25

I can't believe BASS didn't DQ him. Kind of like BASS knew they had to do something, but didn't want to attract too much attention. A big thumb's up to the co-angler for doing what is right.

bosshawg

don't think thats grounds for DQ'ing him.  the guy wasn't thinkin' straight for sure. its goin' to hurt his ranks for getting his name out there on the circuit. first year in the big times. ouch!

it does put a damper on the sport that a few our trying hard to get this more popularize and expand its audience.

i hope in the future we see a few more mich. guys in the spotlight along w/KVD, stricker, ferguson, balog, etc.. and lets get some of these big time events back up here on mich. waters..
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

djkimmel

I don't believe I have seen anywhere that this was reported before the protest cutoff. I am wondering if it went down the way it did because it was reported late. Having been through this scenario myself years ago, that was my first impression about how it unfolded. I have idea if that is accurate. Just a guess. I'm not going to second guess B.A.S.S. or anyone else on how it happened or went down without having been there and not knowing the details that only they have.

djkimmel

It's bad for the sport anytime something like this happens, but it does help to have a public statement and punishment as occurred. I think there happens to be a lot of personal feelings mixed up in this topic, and a lot of second guessing by people who do not have all the facts that B.A.S.S. had when they  made the decision.

My belief is there were some issues that the rest of us are not aware that took this process out of the normal DQ or don't DQ process leading to a creative exception that will still, as you point out, be felt by Nate for a long time even though it doesn't make some people happy.

I don't have a personal stock in this issue other than wanting to see people not break rules or even joke about breaking them. That is good for the sport.

Dan

DK, you missed your calling. I think you should have gotten into politics. Still not too late... You'd get my vote.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

I don't like to lie so I think I'm disqualified from politics...

blakstr1

Quote from: Dan on September 05, 2011, 09:49:06 PM
DK, you missed your calling. I think you should have gotten into politics. Still not too late... You'd get my vote.

DJKimmel = Bass Fishing's Fred Trost   ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

bosshawg

Quote from: Mojo on September 03, 2011, 09:13:47 PM
How is this bad for the sport? They acted appropriately when brought to their attention. it was co anglers word vs boater, and I think they can't remove a winner because of that.

NASCAR never removes a winner but fines and puts em on probation allot. The embarrassment and loss of friendships sponsors etc will devastate him enough.

i didn't say "bad", i mentioned damper on the sport. its  just usually all the bad crap that gets printed in the papers. so i leave at that.
i'm sayin' the guy will have this hangin' over him for a while and hope lesson is learned and he moves on.
i'm cool w/the fine & probation and feel B.A.S.S. did the responsible thing.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Mojo

DK: "other than wanting to see people not break rules or even joke about breaking them. That is good for the sport."

Well said and nough said.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

LipRip

BASS knows he tried to buy the guys fish.....and they only fined him? I dunno about that, sounds like he should be banned for life..........If there was any question in BASS mind that he didnt try to cheat they wouldnt have issued the fine, doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me

TCook

Its obvious Wellman tried to buy his co's fish and everyone knows it including BASS. Not to mention this puts the idea in everyones head that it probably was not the first time he attempted to do so. Even though he should have been DQd and banned for life and only got a slap on the wrist the damage has been done for his career. He will lose all his sponsors, all respect, and be blackballed from the tournament scene. Its no different than putting fish on a stringer or sticking weights down a fishes gullet. He attempted to cheat and steal his fellow anglers money and a classic berth. Wellmans bass fishing career is over!!
FISH HARD!!!

TCook

FISH HARD!!!

t-bone

and he has already posted the details of his win on his website... http://natewellman.com
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

champion_206

Ya know things aren't good when someone starts a facebook page that says  Ban Nate Wellman  :o
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

Skulley

In the United States of America, one is innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.  Since this will never go to court, we will never really know that Nate Wellman is guilty of cheating.  All you have is one man's word against another man's word.  Nate Wellman made his statement and admitted what he did.  He was fined accordingly and put on probation in one organization.  In another organization, he was suspended for the rest of 2011 and 2012.  So far I have not seen any statements made by any of his sponsors.  So as of now, he hasn't lost anything except opportunity in the future until 2013.  Is that enough???  And who are we to judge a man that we didn't see actually commit this infraction.  I wasn't in the boat with him.............were you??  So I can't say that he did or didn't commit an infraction punishable by whatever means.  Like all men, he deserves the benefit of the doubt and definitely another chance.  Sad that this happened and I am sure Nate Wellman regrets his actions.  We should all just forgive and forget and move on.  I am sure God has already forgiven him.  I know I have.

BD                       ;D   
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

Well said BD. This is the last I'm going to discuss this myself. If you want a good level reporting that really covers the incident listen to Mark Jeffries Bass Talk Live from today. They have it archived at this link. http://www.basstalklive.com/replays.htm
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."