Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Top End Speed

Started by Big dreams, August 28, 2011, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I have a 99 TR20 with a Merc 200, 6" manual jackplate, and a 25P Trophy prop.  People with the same exact setup on BBC state they are running low 70's.  My motor has a fresh rebuild with 7 hours on it so I might be jumping the gun here.  After 5 hours, the mechanic told me I could open it up for 2-3 second bursts.  When I did this, the top speed I can get to is 56 mph at 5500 rpm.  I am running 100:1 oil mixture on top of what the oil injectors are pumping for the break in period of 10 hours. 

To me it seems I would at least get up to something close to 70.  Any ideas?

Baybass

I know that boat and when you get the motor broken in you should be high 60's with dialed in just right 70.   But wait till it's broken in......don't worry about speed yet.  Oh, and don't forget ethanol additive....

Big dreams

That is what I was thinking but was beginning to wonder.  A few more trips out and she should be broken in.  I just put the last of the 100:1 oil/fuel mix in.  The reason for the rebuild was due to the gas line inner falling apart and getting into the motor.  What kind of Ethanol Additive do you all use?

Revtro

I'm sure it'll get up there after the break-in, I had a similar experience.  But remember a couple of things.
1. People like to exaggerate their top end speed.  Some might call it overcompensation.  LOL
2. They do their speed tests with no extra weight in the boat, no gear, not much gas, etc.

Real life top end speed is never what people "clock" it at.  Heck, how often can you do top speed on a lake anyway?  I fish LSC all the time, and conditions rarely allow for me to be wide open without killing myself.  In real life, we tend to run lower than top end most of the time.  But I'm sure that rig's gonna kill it when the break-in is over.  On those extra calm days, it's gonna be fun!  ;D

I use to use Ring Free.  Lately I use Merc. Quicklean.  Works pretty well.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Big dreams

Mercury Quick Clean will help with ethonal?  How often do you use it?  Should I use it on the break in or wait untill the 10 hours is up?

Baybass

Not to mention, don't get to hung up on speed.  Seems like in touny's it's always the guy who is fishing on just the Trolling motor because blew an engine that do well.  Makes them slow down and fish the water in front of you instead of blowing around the lake at 70mph...

River Rat

I don't know about the top speed set-up for your rig but will say that the Mercury Quicksilver products are excellent. They have 3 "steps" but the first two are important here: Step 1 Quickare is for treating the ethanol in our gasoline, and Step 2 Quickleen is to help reduce/prevent carbon deposit build-up that result from the 2-cycle burn. Some think it's not a justified expense but who the heck said these rigs are cheap to run?

Just my 2 cents...

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Big dreams

All good information.  I am looking into purchasing the QuickSilver products now.  What about applying wax to the bottom of the hull to help it glide across the water? 

Bender

I have always been told not the wax the pad. You can wax the rest of the hull but if you wax back there it will create suction and actually slow you down. It sounds to me like you might need to raise your jackplate. Not sure if you have set it yet but I keep raising it until my water pressure drops when trimmed out and running, then drop it back down a notch. Do you know where it is set right now?
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Big dreams

Is there a way to read the jackplate?  I know when I am on it, the water pressure is up over 30.  I checked both sides of the jackplate and did not see any markings on measurements.  I must be missing it as it seems like it would be a must for those.  Any idea where to check?

Anthony Adams

Tritons run best at around 3" below pad. Top speed on that rig in a lighten mode, little gas, no tackle, one person in boat you can break 70+. In real world mode 1/2 tank gas all your gear and a buddy next to you. 63-67 max depending on the load.

Run quickcare in every tank. Run quickleen twice a year or more. Run quickstore on your last tank of gas for the season.

I recommend an in line water separator / fuel filter to help with the ethanol and break down issues that caused the motor to blow.

Hope this helps.

If you have more questions about set-up call me at colony marine 248-371-0 four hundred.
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

smbassman

You mention 99 and merc 200.  If it is a 3L opti - 70 might be possible. With an EFI (2.5L) you won't ever be far above 65.  Not sure if I have the years right, but I thought the TR20 was a 225hp rated boat which would push it into the low 70s.

Big dreams

It is a '99 Triton with a '99 Merc. 200 EFI.

Anthony Adams

Actualy the EFI's were slightly faster than the opti's in most cases. The PRo XS is a different story.
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Bender

Quote from: Big dreams on August 31, 2011, 12:02:58 PM
Any idea where to check?
I hope it's O.K. with Dan to link to another board, but click here to see an illustrated method for getting this measurement. 
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

bigjc

Quote from: Big dreams on August 28, 2011, 11:16:27 AM
  When I did this, the top speed I can get to is 56 mph at 5500 rpm. 

To me it seems I would at least get up to something close to 70.  Any ideas?

I am certainly no expert, but it would seem that you should be turning more than 5500 R's.  Might be a jack plate adjustment.  When adjusting the depth of motor in the water, remember an 1/8 of an inch makes a huge difference.

Revtro

I'm kinda thinking that once you start running normal after the break-in, things might pep up.  If not, maybe you need to change your plugs.  I did this immediately after the break-in on my motor and it made a huge difference. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fish hound

Get it totally broken in first.  Then see what it's got without all the extra oil etc.  Then check your prop to pad as Bender suggested.  What is the gear ratio on your LU?  The slip calc even at a 2:1 gear ratio shows a 17%+ slip, more at a 1.75:1 or 1.87:1.  And yes, a lot of guys post the max speed they have ever seen with no batts, no gear, and running on fumes.  We all know that doesn't matter.

Matt

Big dreams

I am not sure what the lower unit gear ratio is.  I will have to check into that.  As far as plugs, what do you all prefer?  I know there are a lot of different types/brands out there.

From what people post on their top speed, I was thinking the motor was not running correctly since there is a 15 mph difference but from what you all say, that is normal.  Makes me feel better!

Waterfoul

As others have said, your top end will get better as you break the motor in and start running the proper fuel mixture.  I just finished the break in on my rebuilt 150 EFI and it's about 2-3 mph faster than it was just a couple weeks ago (at the beginning of the break in).  First tank of straight fuel in it now.  Smokes less too!!

As for pad height... 3" below is about right... you don't want that water pressure to fall below 10-12 PSI at wide open... or have the needle "bounce" when running top speed.  You can experiment with the jack plate.... 1/8th inch at a time!!

According to all the tests I've seen, the best rated ethanol treatments are the Stabil Marine (looks blue in the bottle) or the Valvtect product (green bottle).  Personally I run the Valvtect.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!