Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:46:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Smallmouth Bass become a problem on Lake Tahoe

Started by Anthony Adams, August 19, 2011, 09:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Adams

A highly aggressive species of fish has been found in Lake Tahoe, and environmental scientists are afraid the nonnative invader will gobble up native fish and ruin decades of work to improve water clarity, researchers said Tuesday.

A smallmouth bass was recently spotted by a team of researchers from the University of Nevada, Reno. The native of the Mississippi River basin was 13 inches long and ripe with eggs, indicating that the fish are reproducing and have probably already spread around the mile-high lake.

"It really shocked us. You can think of it this way: There is a new bully in the neighborhood," said Sudeep Chandra, a university limnologist who was working with the California Department of Fish and Game on a study of invasive species when the discovery was made six weeks ago. "It's a type of species that we know when introduced into cold water lakes tend to do very well and they tend to prey on native species."

The Department of Fish and Game has been working with Chandra and his team of researchers in an attempt to remove nonnative species from the lake. Their joint study found that introduced species such as largemouth bass, bluegill and catfish have hurt water quality by excreting nutrients that cause algae blooms. Asian clams have caused similar chaos.

Smallmouth bass, known scientifically as Micropterus dolomieu, aren't rare. They have been moved all over the United States since 1825, when construction of the Erie Canal extended their range into central New York state.

The problem is that they are ferocious predators that are likely to feed on Tahoe's native redside dace, suckers and chub.

Studies of introduced smallmouth bass have already shown that they have devastated trout populations on the East Coast. Tahoe's lake, brown and rainbow trout could also be in jeopardy. The alien fish could hamper efforts by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to re-introduce native Lahontan trout to the Sierra lake.

The joint study documented a 58 percent decline in native fish caused just by largemouth bass, bluegill and catfish. The smallmouth bass could make things worse, said Kevin Thomas, a Fish and Game environmental scientist who co-wrote the invasive species study.

"We've had reports of smallmouth bass before, but now we've 100 percent confirmed its presence in Lake Tahoe," Thomas said.

Water quality is a big deal at Lake Tahoe, which has gotten warmer and murkier over the years. The clarity of the second-deepest lake in the nation has steadily worsened since 1968, when scientists began measuring how deep a white disk remained visible from the surface.

It was 64.4 feet last year, the second-lowest level ever, according to the UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center, which is in charge of the annual measurements. That's compared with 102.4 feet 43 years ago.

E-mail Peter Fimrite at pfimrite@sfchronicle.com.
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Anthony Adams

I find it interesting how they believe bass are the cause of poor water clarity?

Not to mention they found a spawning bass 6 weeks ago!

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

YpsiBass

They're welcome to load them up in a truck and take them to Belleville lake :P

Dan

Having spent some time in the Tahoe area, it is a beautiful area and the people there are passionate about protecting it. Can't blame them for their zeal. Lake Tahoe averages, averages 1000 ft. deep with the deepest part of the lake being a little over 1600 ft. deep. There is enough water in Lake Tahoe to cover the state of California with one foot of water. It never freezes because of its depth. Temperature ranges from 44 to 68 degrees. It has 72 miles of shoreline.
In my trips out to Tahoe, I've heard that there are those who claim that there were smallmouth in it, especially down at the south end. It's rocky looking smallie water around the whole lake. There are bass in reservoirs near the lake that people could catch and carry. Despite my love for smallie fishing, I can't blame their concern over people putting non native fish in the lake.
They don't use any salt on any of the roads out there because of their concern for the lake and they get a lot of snow.
Tahoe is considered a high dessert. Very little rain, idyllic temperatures during the summer, no flies or mosquitoes, etc. If you have never been there, put it on your bucket list.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

If they are willing to pay my way, I'll truck on out there and help alleviate the problem.   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bob o

eyes closed fo sure, i say the more smallies the better  ;D

Skulley

I can't imagine Smallmouth causing water clarity issues.  Especially of a fish that thrives in the clear waters of LSC and Erie.  I do understand their concern over a non-native species of fish, however their fishing will get better.  Imagine a B.A.S.S. Event or FLW Event on Lake Tahoe.  I have been out there several times and love the area.  I would love to go back and fish for smallies, especially if they get big.  The lake never freezes so that means the fish could grow all year round.  Next world record smallie could come out of that lake in years to come.  I actually wonder if the smallies got in there through tributaries that flow into the lake from other lakes in the area.  I am sure more research has to be done.

BD                        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

Quote from: UAWBigDog on August 20, 2011, 09:13:43 PM
I can't imagine Smallmouth causing water clarity issues.  Especially of a fish that thrives in the clear waters of LSC and Erie.  I do understand their concern over a non-native species of fish, however their fishing will get better.  Imagine a B.A.S.S. Event or FLW Event on Lake Tahoe.  I have been out there several times and love the area.  I would love to go back and fish for smallies, especially if they get big.  The lake never freezes so that means the fish could grow all year round.  Next world record smallie could come out of that lake in years to come.  I actually wonder if the smallies got in there through tributaries that flow into the lake from other lakes in the area.  I am sure more research has to be done.

No 2 strokes allowed on Tahoe.  BASS couldn't get every competitor into a 4 stroke boat for an even there.... logistical nightmare.

BD                        ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

cameraguy

Are Lake, Brown, and Rainbow trout native to Lake Tahoe?

Dan

About the only fishing I've seen them do on Tahoe is for a salmon they call a mackinaw. They fish them deep and the pictures always show them with their stomachs out of their mouths.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Lots of people out in the Western states consider bass to be an invasive species on many waters. Some people also think if you don't catch trout on a fly only, you're some type of loser. Some people probably even still believe the moon is made of cheese. Different strokes or something or other.

But anglers shouldn't have their own private stocking programs either. Not a good idea.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

hurricane

I used to go swimming in Lake Tahoe when I was a child. The water was pretty clear there. Bass are the most fun to fish for, but in California they do tend to take over, so even though it is no great loss from a fisherman's standpoint to lose some catfish, from an ecological standpoint it is a shame.
I don't think they have trout in Lake Tahoe but the water is cold enough.

djkimmel

Any introduction of a new species should be considered carefully and often not done. But we humans sure have introduced a zillion things in a zillion places.

chrisvmo

Quote from: Waterfoul on August 20, 2011, 02:44:31 PM
If they are willing to pay my way, I'll truck on out there and help alleviate the problem.   ;D
May have to get some bigger Shot weights Waterfoul!

Team houston

If it doesn't freeze because of the depth, why does Superior freeze? Well used to I think, Global warming and all.

Dan

The average temp for Tahoe stays above 44 degrees. Plus to average 1000 feet deep you don't find much shallow water. I'm sure they get a little shoreline freeze, but a lot less than you would think.  
Out there they don't use salt on any of the roads. They do require chains to go over many of the passes, and if you don't have them they turn you around. They get so much snow that they can't just push it off the road. They plow to the middle and scoop it, or use a big snowblower type truck.
Even though they don't use salt the roads get down to asphalt and dry in a hurry, because when it snows it snows, but then it gets bright blue and intense sun. With as much sun as they get the black asphalt melts the residual pretty fast. They rarely get a cloudy day if it isn't snowing. Most days are bright blue skies. All this direct sun during the winter, and the amount of water in the deep lake, (enough water in Lake Tahoe to cover the whole state of Cali with one foot of water.) keeps the shoreline almost iceless. It's an idyllic area.
The Tahoe area is considered a high dessert. At lake level you are at 6,000 ft. You'd be surprised at how much difference the elevation makes as you drive up to one of the many ski areas around the Tahoe bowl. Snow depths really vary from lake level to the ridges.
A picture from early June of this year and a You Tube video that shows how fast the drop falls off.

Waterfoul

Quote from: chrisvmo on August 26, 2011, 03:22:12 AM
Quote from: Waterfoul on August 20, 2011, 02:44:31 PM
May have to get some bigger Shot weights Waterfoul!

I can pour up to one ounce!!!  Let me at em!

Waterfoul

Oh, and I didn't see any of those terrible small mouth in that video....

djkimmel

They're in the shallow end.

When they said 'high altitude dive' I was expecting someone to be jumping off a cliff into the lake!