Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Needing LSC local ish club

Started by Mike Martin, August 13, 2011, 07:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Martin

so i was planning on diving head first into the BFL, but after considering it, the money aspect and getting the opinions of a few others, it seems that my best route to start onto the scene is through a club. I ran a search through the site and through google..and found more dead links than anything which really got me no where.

now mind you im trying to start this process without a boat so im not really sure how it would work out, and with it being the end of the season this is more of a preparation for next year, with maybe a few times out this year before the ice comes.

I guess my question is where do i start? what direction should i go? and what should i expect along the way?

Any info is much appreciated, ideally id like to stick to something local (LSC area) but never count anything out...

Thnx guys

djkimmel

There are some longstanding clubs in SE Michigan and many loose clubs. Hang out here and post more to meet more of the anglers. This post is a good start. I would always suggest starting in a local club first. There are some good beginner clubs and some more competitive clubs.

Some of the older clubs have vote in requirements so you actually might need to start about now to be established for next season.

It also helps to find a good fishing partner or too who has some experience to learn from. I've seen too many anglers jump right in at a higher level and get frustrated and broke real fast.

If you really want to get good and maybe fish higher level tournaments in the future, then fishing the BFL as a co-angler can help. It is just up to being realistic about expenses, which are less for co-anglers but still somewhat expensive, and realistic about expectations. No matter what, not every day may go real well, but I will say I have always learned something from everyone I've fished with no matter how good or bad the day went. It helps to take it that way. Take what you get and make the most of it.

I've had partners who made the day challenging before we even started and I've had partners who made the entire day enjoyable.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike Martin

ya i guess i need to just come across a few of the right people at the right times. Always been into the bass deal, mainly LSC and ponds...got out of it for a few years, now im older and able to fund myself through random endeavors instead of relying on someone else which makes it alot easier. Always had a nack for finding and catching fish...so why not make some money doing it? obviously easier said than done, but more than possible.

Hopefully like you said ill meet some people through here to expand my fishing further than my little aluminum can take me and learn more of a variety of ways to catch these expensive hobbies people call bass  ;D and make some good friends along the way, then ultimately work my way up through the ranks and who knows...maybe that childhood dream will become a reality!

fiker

I belong to the Down River Bass Association.  We are a non competitive club fishing St. Clair, Erie, the Detroit River, and several inland lakes around SE Mi.  The main purpose of the club is to share information with each other.  To become better anglers.

We meet the 4th Tuesday of every month at the Gander Mountain in Taylor at 6:30.  During the winter we often have guest speakers as part of the meeting.  Anyone is invited to attend these meetings to check us out.  We also have a website for more info:

http://www.downriverbassassociation.com/

We fish about 12 events a season, a few "hot bite" days and several research days.  Some events are on weekdays, some on Friday evenings, and some on Saturdays.

The meeting after events we discuss what worked for who at the last events.

Our dues are $24 a year.  Boaters and non-boaters are welcome.  We do however try and keep the ration 1:1 within the membership.

It's a great bunch of guys ranging from 80 years old to around 30. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390