Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Ramsey Wins Walmart Bass Fishing League Michigan Division On Grand River

Started by djkimmel, August 02, 2011, 01:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

FLW Outdoors News

Ramsey Wins Walmart Bass Fishing League Michigan Division On Grand River

Boater Randy Ramsey of Battle Creek, Mich., caught a five-bass limit weighing 14 pounds, 14 ounces July 30 to win $3,028 plus a $2,000 Ranger Cup bonus and a $1,000 Mercury bonus in the Walmart BFL Michigan Division tournament on the Grand River. Ramsey was jig fishing and drop-shotting an Erie Darter to catch his limit.

Read complete story on GreatLakesBass.com Tournament News

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fasttrack

Sweet! The Grand is no longer a connected river and/or drop shotting is perfectly legit. If its fine with BFL it should be fine with anyone - no more debate!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

djkimmel

I wouldn't be so sure he fished the Grand River but I would expect that the latest FLW Outdoors tournament director is not completely up on some of our more odd regulations. If Randy didn't say where he fished, then the tournament director wouldn't be able to make a ruling on it even if he was aware of the weirdness of drop-shotting being illegal.

Maybe Randy used a 3" leader? Some of the FLW staff are aware of the drop-shot rule too so there are a number of possibilities. I consider it not important enough to get very excited about it. Anymore than I got excited when Larry Nixon admitted his winning bass he caught on St. Clair in the Bassmaster years ago was foul-hooked.

It shouldn't have counted by I'm glad I'm not the tournament director who, after announcing he won, found that out and then had to pull him aside and say 'you didn't win' because you didn't catch that bass legally. They were looser on local regs even back then. They try to be tougher but they still don't always know all the local regs - though they should, especially the uncommon rules limited to the rarely-fished Northern states.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fasttrack

Agreed Dan, the rule is crazy anyways. Just seemed a little risky to even discuss it. Even it he ran somewhere, anywhere he ran would be a connecting waterway and open for debate. I think they should add language about 'intent' and just let those who want to drop shot a dock for bass in 6'-8' in July with a med light rod do so w/o rigging a crazy 3' leader. Randy is a veteran angler who has fished the west side for years so I'm sure he did everything right.
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

dominater

djkimmel

You can also fish a drop shot legally on Spring Lake and Bear Lake. There's several possibilities. I'm not sure if he would tell me if I asked ;D He's a pretty competitive person. There's certain secrets he might not want to talk about.

There at least one other alternative drop shot rig I've used that are legal that works fairly well too.