Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mullett Lake

Started by Bass Ninja, July 23, 2011, 09:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bass Ninja

So I am heading up north on Aug.31-7 and planning on taking the boat to fish Mullett lake and possibly Burt.  I have never fished the lake before, just wondering what depths I could find some smallies in.  Also is there anything I should know about the lake like sandbars so I don't run ground.  Ill be fishing out of a black and red Skeeter if anyone is fishing stop and say hi.

Thanks,
Bass Ninja

djkimmel

Just don't cut any points real close to shore on Mullett. There's a few small spots on Burt that you might hit a rock if you're not on plane. I recommend you get a good chart / map before going to any new lake. I don't fish there that time of year but I'm guessing you may have to fish kind of deep to catch numbers.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bass Ninja

Do you think lures you would use on Lake St. Clair would work on Mullett?  Will Navonics be a good map?

Thanks,
Bass Ninja

djkimmel

Yes and probably yes. I have not personally tried Navionics though. I have Lakemaster. They make the best printed map for the two lakes also.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bass Ninja

So what type of cover should I be looking for, rock, weeds or both and what depths should I concentrate my efforts on. 

Thanks,
Bass Ninja

djkimmel

Not many weeds in the lake. Just a few scattered places here and there. If you do find the small weed beds, don't throw anything real expensive! That's where the pike are! ;D If you actually want to catch pike, go into the mouth of the Indian River or into the back of the first bay out from there on the right - I think that is the Pigeon River. That thing was full up big pike out front, a few largemouth bass and tons of little pike up in the river! Watch under the bridge too! The kids throw bed springs in there to snag and collect lures from.

Mostly sand, gravel and rock. I don't know how deep you'll have to fish since I only fish there in the spring and fall, but I would guess anywhere from 10 to 25 feet or more depending on what part of the lake you're fishing and the weather patterns.

Bass Ninja

Fished all morning and got blanked
Going to hit hurt tonight

djkimmel

How deep did you go? What part(s) of the lake?

Bass Ninja

From 10 Dow to 40 went to black lk today got a bunch of pike no smallies

djkimmel

Black is tougher than Burt or Mullett in my opinion. I've only found bass consistently in 2 places after the spawn but I have only fished it about 5 times. If you try deep and don't hook up, think about current and how that often gets bass active in shallower water. Lots of rivers and stream up there. I like rivers.

bassfan586

I have had luck on black for largies and smallies working the area by the black river.  Coontail beds and the deeper reed beds.  Or over by the onaway state park.  Fish the point where the big house is.  Look for the deeper rock piles.
Got one!

djkimmel

That's pretty much all I've found so far too though I have only fished it once in the spring and the other times in the late fall. If you get bored, there are big pike sometimes up in the Black River!!

bassfan586

Last august I spent the weekend there.  Fished pretty much the entire lake and thats the only two spots where I caught them.  Lots of other nice looking areas but no luck.  I have fished that lake a lot over the last 20 years.  Mostly for pike and walleye by the uaw park.  We used to spend 2 weeks a year camping at the onaway state park as a kid.  Lots of great memories there.
Got one!

djkimmel

You're way ahead of me but I feel pretty good I found the same two bassy spots and don't feel so bad I couldn't find them on other interesting looking spots. I did see a couple big muskies wandering and a couple sturgeon swimming along too. Saw a group of smallies in one other spot the first time I went and none there since. Haven't caught on in that area either. Watch out for the strong Northerly wind that sometimes blows right down the lake and makes the state park boat ramp very 'tricky.' Learned that the hard way.

One other quirk I saw, I saw a zillion bass one day near the Black River in the fall. We had the usual bad cold snap and I went back the next day and could not find a trace of a bass anywhere as far out as I checked. The water did drop 10 degrees overnight, but no bass... not one...? Weird. The few people I knew to ask said they haven't figured out where they go either?

bassfan586

I saw the funniest ramp incident ever at that ramp.  A guy had an aluminum lund with the roller trailer.  He was having a heck of a time backing down the ramp.  He was constantly hitting the brakes hard and so on.  He had un hooked his boat from the trailer at some point and about 10-15 from the water his wife yelled at him to watch it as he was jack knifing it yet again.  He slams on the brakes to yell at her and bloop of the trailer the boat goes  completly blocking the ramp lying on its side.  I caught most of my fish near the black river.  Its funny as a kid I used to catch the smallies over by the state park by the rocky piers and now nothing.  I think they roam a lot there chasing schools of ciscos and alewife like the walleyes do.
Got one!

djkimmel

That would make sense - the forage - not the boat ramp guy.

Cy

I'm heading up to Mullet on Saturday for a family vacation.  I will be there most of next week trying to catch some fish and relax.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

djkimmel

I'm hearing mixed reviews. Some people are struggling up there and some are whacking them! Some say they are not finding them. Some say they are catching them shallow. And some say they are catching them deep. Good thing we like this fishing thing ;D

Bass Ninja

Well we didnt do so hot at Burt and Mullett but did get a ton of pike on Black.  Tried to fish the black river but a storm came in so we left, but it looks really bassy.   Thanks for all the replies, Im going to give those lakes a try next spring they look great.

Bass Ninja

djkimmel

I haven't done too well in the Black River off of Black Lake other than pike. There is a ramp on a stretch in between the dams farther North that has a mix of largemouth and smallmouth in it. Been 25 years or better since I fished it, but it was decent back then.