Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 11:48:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

you all are missing it

Started by oldjigger, May 03, 2011, 09:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldjigger

For years I heard Gregg Mangus tell me about fishing shortly after ice out about fishing silver buddies.  These work very well when water temps are below 60 degrees.  this is what we got right now most every where in Mich
I was out for 2 hrs sat where several other boats did nothing to one in 5 hrs and I caught 3 in less than 2 hrs useing a silver buddy.  open your minds and increase your catching

karol

vertical or casting with it and burning it back?
spinning or casting rod? thanks for the tips..karol

McCarter

i threw a silver buddy most of the day saturday on white lake and caught 5 or 6 chunky keeper largemouth on it.  im a blade fan and throw it often ;D

McCarter himself :-\'

djkimmel

I like the blade baits though I fish with several anglers who are way better at it than me!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

i've been forcing my self to use one for at least 20 minutes everytime out. thats really hard to do when i'm catching good fish on a jig everytime out. they don't seem to mind the water is only 46 degrees this year.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

edyer

I've been throwing the blade, but have been catching more on other baits.Three fish in two hours isn't really tearing it up Dick. I've been hearing the shaky head and cranks have been catching em too. Sounds like The Dude and a few other have been catching them on jigs. I thought the jerk bait bite would be on by now. The darter and centipede have caught a few too. Take your pick. Must be why I had 15 rods out yesterday.

Wolverines

Quote from: edyer on May 04, 2011, 01:07:37 AM
I've been throwing the blade, but have been catching more on other baits.Three fish in two hours isn't really tearing it up Dick. I've been hearing the shaky head and cranks have been catching em too. Sounds like The Dude and a few other have been catching them on jigs. I thought the jerk bait bite would be on by now. The darter and centipede have caught a few too. Take your pick. Must be why I had 15 rods out yesterday.

Come on ED!  You know the power of the blade  ;)  There's definitely more to it than just tossing it out there and reeling it in though. 

Normally the jerkbait bite would be on for sure, but normally the water temps would be in the mid to high 50's even low 60's by now.  It's been a cold spring....
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

oldjigger

The other guys that were on the lake caught very few fish at all.  I just wanted to stay this is the time of the year to learn to throw it and the water temps are down.  It was very windy and I wasn't there very long fishing.  I was checking out how every thing was working.  The 3 fish I caught would have weighed over 9 lbs or very close to it so if you want to learn one this is the year before it warms up to much to do it

Anthony Adams

I've been throwing silver buddies for more than 15 years but I would not consider it one of my go to baits. It is more of a specailized bait in specail conditions for me.

I tend to use it more in the spring shallow and mid summer deep. I also like it as a deep water bait in south in the fall.

However this thread has me wondering when, how and what techniques others are using it in.

Also silver buddies are no longer made. What brands are your favories and how can other readers acquire them. I have a fairly good supply of silver buddies in silver and gold colors. I like silver best in spring and gold best in summer.

If you don't mind share with the board your favorite techniques, colors and situations you prefer to use this in.

Pre spawn / spawn - Shallow - I use the yo/yo technique on a slow retrieve.

Summer Deep - I use a rip and drop technique and a med fast retrieve.

Fall Deep I use a slow jigging retrieve.

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing