Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

GPS Puck placement

Started by Firefighter Jeff, April 24, 2011, 06:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Jeff

I hunted around past posts but couldn't find where I had seen some pictures before.  I am ready to mount the GPS puck for a 898 I'm putting at the dash.  I've read I want to put it as close to the transducer as possible.  It will be in the back as the transducer is attached at the jack plate.  Does anyone have a picture they can post on where they mounted their puck in the back??  I believe Seth had posted pics, but I can't find them.  Does the puck have to be level???  Thanks in advance for the help.  :)  Jeff

Wolverines

With the HB SI graphs you can courser back to the spot you want to waypoint, even if your boat has moved a ways away from the spot.  I don't see why you'd need the puck in the back by the transducer.  I have my puck mounted at the bow next to my 788 that has an internal antenna. I had my electronics mounted at the dealer and figured that makes sense cause then both antennas are close to each other and at the front of the boat where I'd be fishing from trying to target those way points.  Am I not thinking about that correctly???
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

Firefighter Jeff

Well, let me think about that for a sec.  lol  If I waypoint a spot on my 898 at the dash with the puck sitting next to it, then the actual spot the transducer is picking up is 6 feet or so from where the gps plotted it. If you have the gps puck at the bow then it's an even larger distance say 17 feet ot so.  So there is like an error built in.  If I approach that spot from a different angle with my bow mount and sit on where the gps puck says I should be then I'm not right over the object.  Is that clear as mud???  lololol    Jeff

Redbone

Not an expert on this but... I'm pretty sure you want your puck as close to the ducer as possible.  Otherwise you have a larger margin of error.  If you puck is 10 feet away from the ducer you will have a 20' radius margin of error on finding your spot.  Being that you can have your boat a full 360 degrees at anytime around the spot you marked. Good luck.

Wolverines

Well, I have one ducer up front on the TM for the 788, and one in back for the 998.  So I guess in a way I do have them close together. The graphs are linked together, not sure if that makes a difference. I haven't had any problems finding what I've waypointed yet so I guess I'm not gonna let it bother me...
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

1javelin

Your unit has no way of telling how far apart the puck and transducer are, because even with a set length, there is no way to tell the orientation of your boat. The arrow can say you're going one way, but I can move backwards, so that would be erroneous. That said, your puck should be mounted as close to the transducer as possible. The unit is interpreting the image from the transducer, and the gps signal from the puck at the SAME TIME, so it is assuming puck and transducer at one location. Does this make sense?

Jeff, I mounted my puck for my rear transducer in the spill well on the same side as my transducer. I can take a picture tomorrow morning and send it to you. If you have any other questions I can probably help you out. Call or text anytime.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

mikesmiph

On kind of the same subject, I dont have anything fancy with SI or anything. I have an internal GPS and was planning on linking it with my bow mounted unit. Do I need a puck also? Is there any benefit to having both?  First GPS unit ever for me.

SethV

You do want your GPS puck as close to the transducer.  On a 20' boat, if you have the SI transducer on your jackplate and your puck on the console it might be 8' away.  If you approach the waypoint from the opposite direction later, you will be off by 16'.  That is way too far when you are trying to stay on 1 rock or a sweet spot.

In the pics you can see I have 2 antennas on the bow for my bow electronics and gm SI antenna on the transom near my SI 'ducer.

SethV

One more of the bow.

Firefighter Jeff

Yes Herman, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic if you could.  Thanks

Thanks again Seth for posting the pics.

BryanP

I would advise mounting it on the deck cap in the back of the boat like in SethV's pic.  I would probably not mount it in the splash well where it could be submerged for any amount of time.  The antenna's are waterproof, but I don't believe they're meant to be submerged for long periods of time. 

And yes, mount it as close to the transducer as possible  ;)

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: BryanP on April 26, 2011, 11:18:17 AM
I would advise mounting it on the deck cap in the back of the boat like in SethV's pic.  I would probably not mount it in the splash well where it could be submerged for any amount of time.  The antenna's are waterproof, but I don't believe they're meant to be submerged for long periods of time. 

And yes, mount it as close to the transducer as possible  ;)

Sounds like good advice to me.  I think I know where I want to place it.  I now have to decide how to attach it.    :-\'

1javelin

Bryan,

I didn't think about it being submerged at all. Probably going to have to move it now. Not cool, but glad you mentioned it before I had any problems.

Jeff,

I just predrilled two holes aligned with the puck, filled them with rubber sealant, and screwed down the puck. I've heard of guys just putting a sealant ring around the base of the puck and securing it like that, similar in a sense to a transducer, but I would be afraid of the sealant weathering and cracking and my puck falling off, or accidentally getting knocked off.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Firefighter Jeff

Thanks Herman, I think I'll bolt it down.  Jeff