Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:48:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Give me a break!

Started by Dan, April 19, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

If you compete at any level, in any type of event, you are likely to incur a tough loss. Winning is a game of failure. In any contest, all but one person or one team comes out on top. You can compete, and be quite good, without ever savoring the limelight and the champions trophy.
Dean Rojas beat Gerald Swindle by an ounce after fishing for four days in the Toledo Bend Elite Series event this last weekend! David Walker lost by 13 ounces, and had the fish he needed to win halfway to the boat.
What do you say to yourself after something like that? How do you not let that doubt creep in the next time you're in contention?
You can take solace in quotes like author and publisher Harry Golden have made, "The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work."
What are your hard luck stories and how do you motivate yourself after one of those tough losses?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Manxfishing

I see it is,

If you need to motivate yourself maybe it's not there cup of tea
It's the love of fishing and the competition that keeps me going.

McCarter

last year at the tbf event on muskegan, i had an absolute mental breakdown.  i had a terrible practice listening to tips from people.  i had never fished up there before so i kinda was relying on advice from others.  but it didnt pan out.  so when the event started, i just decided to go with my gut and fish my strengths.  it ended up working pretty good as i found a school of good ones.  but for whatever reason, i lost 4 fish that absolutly crushed me.  after the first one got off, i was ok.  the 2nd one was a monster, and that one got it started.  a few minutes later i lost a 3.5 lber and not long after lost a solid 3 lber.  i was livid.  i did the only thing i could do at that point and sat down and watched a few videos of my kid on my cell phone.  then i looked at a few pictures of her on my phone and it really helped.  kinda reminded me of what is important and i was able to compose myself and improve my mood.  if i wouldnt have had those, i dont think i would have been able to pull it together.  i would have probably ended up breaking stuff ( cuz i am a 200 lb 4 year old at heart ) and would have ruined my co anglers day.  thank god for family.  when all else fails, they are always there.

McCarter himself :-\'

Cy

I think one of the biggest requirements to even become a fisherman, let alone a tournament angler, is to be an optimist.  I am not an optimist in most things, in real life I play a very convincing realist!  However optimism is a critical part of fishing.  It's the idea that every cast is going to produce a fish.  I consider this to be one of the mental keys to success on the water.  Oh sure, there are countless other mental keys, but if you don't believe you are going to catch a fish, then you probably aren't going to.

The point to all of this is, as most of you are wondering already, I don't remember my "bad beats" on the water.  I forget about them as quickly as possible and move on to the next event.  Unless someone were to remind me of the time I got my butt kicked, I really can't pull one out of thin air and tell you about it.  As far as I am concerned, it didn't happen.  Everything is a learning experience, a mental exercise or just preparing you for something else.  Roll with it and come up swing the next time.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Eric

You kind of have to expect bad things to happen sometimes.  I bet I have lost more bass tournaments that anyone else on here in the last decade.  I've probably lost 250 tournaments.  rather weirdly, losing has made me become rather successful.  You can't win them all, remember that.  Be as mentally and physically prepared as possible and have your equipment as prepared as possible, then go do your best.  Sometimes it's good enough, and sometimes it's not.  When it's not, assess to see what you maybe can improve on for next time.  When it is, stick your tongue out and put your thumbs in your ears and wiggle your fingers at your buddies. 

Luck is the culmination of hard work and preparation.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Redbone

Quote from: Eric on April 20, 2011, 04:54:27 PM
You kind of have to expect bad things to happen sometimes.  I bet I have lost more bass tournaments that anyone else on here in the last decade.  I've probably lost 250 tournaments.  rather weirdly, losing has made me become rather successful.  You can't win them all, remember that.  Be as mentally and physically prepared as possible and have your equipment as prepared as possible, then go do your best.  Sometimes it's good enough, and sometimes it's not.  When it's not, assess to see what you maybe can improve on for next time.  When it is, stick your tongue out and put your thumbs in your ears and wiggle your fingers at your buddies. 

Well said!
I always make sure that if I am beat me.  You were on top of your game and not just limping around.

josh617

" Ya can't catch 'em all, Charlie," one of my favorite fishing quotes, from Charlie Hartley at the 2007(i think) classic on Hartwell, after he lead on day one and could barely boat a bass on day three. Without going into too much painful detail (the memories have been repressed for my mental health lol), I ve lost some fish the last couple of years that have cost me quite a bit of money.  :'(

thedude

hey cy, remember that time you hooked a pike and a trap into your hand and then we weighed in and the scales were off and then we went to the hospital for an hour to get the hook pulled out and then we went to pizza hut and drank beer and ate pizza?

i love beer and pizza!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Redbone

Quote from: Redbone on April 20, 2011, 09:09:27 PM
Quote from: Eric on April 20, 2011, 04:54:27 PM

Well said!
I always make sure that if I am beat.  You were on top of your game and not just limping around.

I must of had one to many last night looking at this post! ::)

Eric

Were you with Justin?  Looks like he was liking beer and posting too.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Dan

That's funny in a sick kind of way Justin. Poor Cy.
I know that I thoroughly enjoy the competition whether it's fishing, sports, poker, triathalons,  etc. I do get upset with myself when I feel I could have done better.
I don't really have a need to win any more. Getting old I guess. Don't get me wrong, when I do compete I have goals. In bass tournaments, I look to win. In events like the Chicago Marathon, I just hope to finish and run the whole way. (I don't do that any more. My knees got tired of being carved on. I like walking without pain. In fact, when I quit running, I started bass tournaments more seriously.) The older I got the emphasis or importance of my competing was tempered by the insignificance of it all it the larger sense. My priorities changed. Maybe that's because as an old man all my kids can out wrestle me now. In any case, when it comes to competing I like how this quote  from Wadsworth sums it up.  "Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory and defeat."   
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cy

Quote from: thedude on April 20, 2011, 11:07:56 PM
hey cy, remember that time you hooked a pike and a trap into your hand and then we weighed in and the scales were off and then we went to the hospital for an hour to get the hook pulled out and then we went to pizza hut and drank beer and ate pizza?

i love beer and pizza!

Yeah I totally remember that!  I remember all that stuff and I remember we caught 'em pretty well that day too.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net